DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Issues with a new 4G USB Modem

More
14 Nov 2020 15:16 #7 by jann
Replied by jann on topic Re: Issues with a new 4G USB Modem
>>I would suggest another modem which definitely works with our routers, the DLink DWM222 A1 modem. It is available online<<
This was my experience today with the DWM-222 (vA1, fw 1.92, though labelled fw 1.0 EE)
Worked fine on my laptop, so connected to USB1 of a Vigor 2860n (latest fw). Note that the list of 'acceptable' dongles on the dashboard of the 2860n does not match that on the Draytek website (which says DWM-222 is fine).
Firstly set to be WAN3, in Failover mode. As not much joy, disabled WAN1 (the ADSL).
All I can say is that the Vigor more or less went into freakout mode - ages to logon on LAN, erratic behaviour - i.e. the dashboard and LAN connection dropped out and I had to wait to reconnect, trying multiple times and getting same symptoms.
Once actually into the dashboard, it seemed to suggest that the line was 'TRAINING' endlessly.
Had to disconnect in the end and go back to ADSL.
It may well be that the settings I entered for EE (the dongle was from Argos and tied to EE) were not totally spot on (anyone know settings that have worked with the DWM-222 and the 2860n) but it should not be the case that this causes a router to have some sort of meltdown.
If anyone knows how to get the DWM-222 working, let me know - I might try a fw upgrade for it later (the Draytek site does not list the last fw tested to work). Have chucked to one side for now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2020 15:12 #8 by geob
Replied by geob on topic Re: Issues with a new 4G USB Modem
+1 on the Huawei, same problems as all the others here on a Vigor 2860n+, keeps detecting/not detecting the stick - sometimes it will connect only for a few seconds and then it will pretend that the stick is not connected.

Have seen similar comments on a mikrotic forum, where they are saying this was caused by the USB trying to advertise itself as a 'USB storage device' to launch its page, then back to modem, etc. and getting in a continuous loop. At least it seems they got it fixed with a newer version of their firmware.

More
26 Nov 2020 15:24 #9 by jann
Replied by jann on topic Re: Issues with a new 4G USB Modem
Thanks. I briefly tried a firmware upgrade from the D-Link site, and I have to say that IMHO it was as if the upgrade had been programmed by the intern who joined yesterday... barely understandable English, bizarre prompts that one minute worked, next didn't.
End result was no upgrade, and gave up but shall try again and report back.
Part of the problem is that EE seem to no longer support that stick - there really should be some sort of legal responsibility for these companies to provide download links etc. on their own site.

More
30 Nov 2020 16:16 #10 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Issues with a new 4G USB Modem

TwoSuits wrote:
+1 for me on this.

Exactly the same issue with E3372h-320 on 2862 (latest firmware for both).

Reply from support:

Probably going to have to buy another and be stuck with this one. However, as others have stated, those on the support list are no longer readily available.

Would be nice if someone had a solution :D

Please get in touch with support again, there's now a beta firmware available now for these models that you could test out:

• Vigor 2762

• Vigor 2862

• Vigor 2926

• Vigor 2927

Something to be aware of is that this modem is stuck in 'HiLink' mode, so it's operating as a mini-router on its IP of 192.168.8.1, so APN settings are managed through the Huawei's web interface.
The DrayTek router can connect to it similarly to a USB network adapter, rather than a regular 4G modem. Performance was quite good though when I tested with an EE sim.

Forum Administrator

More
30 Nov 2020 16:44 #11 by twosuits
Replied by twosuits on topic Re: Issues with a new 4G USB Modem

admin3 wrote:

TwoSuits wrote:
+1 for me on this.

Exactly the same issue with E3372h-320 on 2862 (latest firmware for both).

Reply from support:

Probably going to have to buy another and be stuck with this one. However, as others have stated, those on the support list are no longer readily available.

Would be nice if someone had a solution :D

Please get in touch with support again, there's now a beta firmware available now for these models that you could test out:

• Vigor 2762

• Vigor 2862

• Vigor 2926

• Vigor 2927

Something to be aware of is that this modem is stuck in 'HiLink' mode, so it's operating as a mini-router on its IP of 192.168.8.1, so APN settings are managed through the Huawei's web interface.
The DrayTek router can connect to it similarly to a USB network adapter, rather than a regular 4G modem. Performance was quite good though when I tested with an EE sim.

Thanks for letting me know! I will check it out as soon as I get chance. :D

More
14 Feb 2021 20:47 #12 by jeffery
Replied by jeffery on topic Re: Issues with a new 4G USB Modem
Any success fixing this? I have the latest firmware (4.2.2) but have exactly the same issue connecting E3372h-320 to Vigor 2927. Draytek clearly show it as compatible on the "modem support list" but seems not!