• wga
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Oct 2020 16:33 #7 by wga
Replied by wga on topic Re: VPN Tunnel Packet Loss with 2927

MarkPi wrote:
I don't have a 2927 (yet), but am keeping a close eye on the early-adopters / beta-testers as I like the spec of it.

I did experience problems that sound very similar with a 3900, in the end I gave up on it without really getting to the bottom of the issue.

If you do manage to fix it, it would be really appreciated if you can post an update.

Will do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wga
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Oct 2020 06:20 #8 by wga
A quick update. The tunnel we created between ourselves and Draytek Support suffered no packet loss, so I am now thinking there must be an issue with restoring existing VPN tunnels from the 2926 config backup.

I am going to get the 2927 setup again but build the tunnels from scratch. Will let you know what results we get.

• wga
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Oct 2020 15:49 #9 by wga
Another quick update. I factory-reset the 2927, took out to site and configured from scratch. I created a single IPSec tunnel back our head office and unfortunately still observed packet loss - not as bad as the first time but still reasonably frequent (and any level of packet loss is unacceptable)

I have sent the config file across to Draytek so they can test, but in the meantime I am going to try and get out to another of our sites and test there, to rule out this site/site's link in partiuclar.

Will report back in due course.

• wga
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Oct 2020 15:21 #10 by wga
Another update. I took this 2927 out to another of our sites (currently running on a 2925) and again set it up from scratch and again observed packet loss across the VPN. Also a small amount of packet loss direct to the internet.

Tested the 2925 thoroughly before and after installing the 2927 and observed 0% packet loss.

It's interesting to note that when this packet loss occurs, the packet loss isn't uniform. For example, there could be packet loss shown direct to the internet, but at the same time none across the VPNS. Also, there could be packet loss shown going in one direction across a VPN tunnel, but none showing in the other direction at the same time.

I have gone back to Draytek with the above and await their response.

• wga
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Oct 2020 14:18 #11 by wga
Frustratingly Draytek support have replied to say we should either try using a different protocol for our VPN tunnels other than IPSec, otherwise it's a local network issue and they are unable to assist.

We're essentially being forced to go elsewhere for our VPN hardware which is a shame having been loyal Draytek customers for many years. If anyone else takes the plunge on the 2927 and experiences similar issues it would be good to know so please post on this topic.

More
29 Oct 2020 09:47 #12 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: VPN Tunnel Packet Loss with 2927
That's not the resolution that should be necessary for your new router I think. IPsec performance is a key feature of the Vigor 2927. Have you tried / been sent the 4.2.2 release candidate firmware?

Forum Administrator