• xer0w
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Oct 2020 19:34 #7 by xer0w
Replied by xer0w on topic Re: Vigor 2762ac Firewall Performance
I don't have QoS enabled or WCF either.
I've searched through the forum posts for similar issues (across models), and my settings don't match with any of the common causes of speed issues.
Do you think that the Firewall Performance specifications aren't relevant for WAN2 then?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
19 Oct 2020 19:40 #8 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 2762ac Firewall Performance

xer0w wrote:

Do you think that the Firewall Performance specifications aren't relevant for WAN2 then?

That I am not sure of but looking at speeds for other home routers they don't appear to be affected. One (maybe risky) way to find out is to run a speed test with the firewall turned off.

I haven't had a DrayTek router for a long time, only use the Vigor 130 modem , but I remember people had speed issues caused by some of the firewal DDos settings.

Hopefully some of the guys that run routers will be around later to offer insights.

• xer0w
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Oct 2020 19:51 #9 by xer0w

AdrianH54 wrote:

xer0w wrote:

That I am not sure of but looking at speeds for other home routers they don't appear to be affected. One (maybe risky) way to find out is to run a speed test with the firewall turned off.

I haven't had a DrayTek router for a long time, only use the Vigor 130 modem , but I remember people had speed issues caused by some of the firewal DDos settings.

Hopefully some of the guys that run routers will be around later to offer insights.

Ok, thanks for your suggestions.
I'll wait and see if anyone else has seen this issue then.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
20 Oct 2020 00:49 #10 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2762ac Firewall Performance

xer0w wrote:
Firewall: Up to 300Mb/s max...
...but the FW seems to be a limiting factor, does this mean that in reality the WAN2 port is limited to 300Mbps (with the FW enabled)?

Draytek are sometimes a little conservative, but there's little reason to doubt that the max. throughput will be there-or-thereabouts. Of course, you can always disable the Firewall, but you'd be losing one of its main features.

(From 2000 -> 2019 I was an NTL/Virgin Media customer. My Draytek upgrades (from 2300 >> 2900 >> 2820 >> 2830 >> 2860) were driven entirely by Virgin Media's speed increases. I now find myself on the end of an FTTC connection - so bring back the 2820, is what I say - it's 2005 again! :cry: )

On the bright side, Draytek seem to have finally produced an affordable Router (the 2927) that might be in the same league (speed-wise), as the bottom-of-the-range 'thing' that an ISP gives you. :wink:
(If FTTP ever makes it to North Devon, that's what I'll be investigating)

• xer0w
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Oct 2020 13:05 #11 by xer0w

hornbyp wrote:
Draytek are sometimes a little conservative, but there's little reason to doubt that the max. throughput will be there-or-thereabouts. Of course, you can always disable the Firewall, but you'd be losing one of its main features.

(From 2000 -> 2019 I was an NTL/Virgin Media customer. My Draytek upgrades (from 2300 >> 2900 >> 2820 >> 2830 >> 2860) were driven entirely by Virgin Media's speed increases. I now find myself on the end of an FTTC connection - so bring back the 2820, is what I say - it's 2005 again! :cry: )

On the bright side, Draytek seem to have finally produced an affordable Router (the 2927) that might be in the same league (speed-wise), as the bottom-of-the-range 'thing' that an ISP gives you. :wink:
(If FTTP ever makes it to North Devon, that's what I'll be investigating)

Thanks for the info. I suspected as much, as I've since tested it with the firewall temporarily disabled, and I do see an increase in the download speeds.
I have looked at the specs for the 2927, and it does say it's capable of "up to 950Mbps throughput per WAN interface" with HW acceleration, so it sounds like this will fit the bill.

More
29 Oct 2020 09:52 #12 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Vigor 2762ac Firewall Performance
With the Vigor 2762 router, you can increase performance for the Ethernet WAN by enabling hardware acceleration and disabling the WAN1 interface under [WAN] > [General Setup]. That should give close to gigabit performance, the only feature it limits the effectiveness of is the Traffic Graph.

Forum Administrator