2762 Mail Alert Service issue

• xer0w
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Nov 2021 13:22 #7 by xer0w
Replied by xer0w on topic Re: 2762 Mail Alert Service issue

Does it still fail to send even test email if you follow the steps in this guide? https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guide ... lert-gmail
If so, it's probably worth getting in touch with support to troubleshoot.
You can also check the router's syslog to see if there's some indication of what's not working

Hi, yes even with the settings as in the guide, although the settings for the 2762 are slightly different.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2021 17:43 #8 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: 2762 Mail Alert Service issue
Hmm, I haven't had any luck getting it to send from a test 2762 either, it may be worth doing a packet capture from the WAN to see if it's actually trying to send.
Though I'm not sure that I'm generating the alerts that it's set to notify for, it should say in syslog.
I wasn't aware that the 2x62 models didn't have the send a test email button, that's certainly a convenient feature.

It might be worth making a support ticket about this.

Forum Administrator

• xer0w
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Nov 2021 17:59 #9 by xer0w

Hmm, I haven't had any luck getting it to send from a test 2762 either, it may be worth doing a packet capture from the WAN to see if it's actually trying to send.
Though I'm not sure that I'm generating the alerts that it's set to notify for, it should say in syslog.
I wasn't aware that the 2x62 models didn't have the send a test email button, that's certainly a convenient feature.

It might be worth making a support ticket about this.

Hi, thanks for giving this a test, at least I know it's not just me!
I haven't done a packet capture on WAN2 yet, but I have seen DNS traffic outbound to the configured smtp server when 'triggering' an alert (in my case connecting a VPN user, although you can also use the OpenVPN Client config screen to send a test email).
So its attempting the connection at least, although I can't say over what port from the DNS trace. The syslog also doesn't log anything relevant (I've monitored it in realtime with tail -f on my syslog server)

More
22 Feb 2022 15:20 #10 by reticulatus
Replied by reticulatus on topic Re: 2762 Mail Alert Service issue
I recently changed email providers and have been trying to reconfigure my Vigor2762ac to send 'connection loss' emails via the new provider. It was working via my previous email provider, but the new one requires SSL.

I am having the same problem as the OP in that after I tick the 'Use SSL' checkbox in the Mail Service Object page and click 'OK' when I go back into the Mail Service Object page, the 'Use SSL' is no longer ticked. I have tested by powering the router off and on but I am not receiving any emails.

I have checked my configuration against the instructions at https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5147 and am convinced my settings are correct.

I have also changed the settings in the System Maintenance -> Mail Alert Setup section to use the new email provider. In that section the 'Use SSL' check box does stay ticked and the 'Send a test e-mail' successfully sends the email.

Does anyone have any more ideas about how to get the Mail Service Object to successfully use SSL?

Firmware: 3.9.6.3_BT

• xer0w
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Feb 2022 20:39 #11 by xer0w
It looks like it's broken in this firmware, will have to wait for the next release which will hopefully fix it

More
25 Feb 2022 11:41 #12 by reticulatus
Replied by reticulatus on topic Re: 2762 Mail Alert Service issue
I contacted Draytek UK support a couple of days ago about this issue and today I received a new firmware file (v2762_bt_000RC0.all) from them.

I have just installed the file and rebooted my router.

On the Mail Service Object page there is now a "Connection Security" drop down menu with 3 options:

Plaintext
SSL
StartTLS

I selected SSL and clicked OK.
After rebooting the router, I successfully received a reconnection notification email via my new email hosting provider.

I assume this fix will make its way into an official firmware release at some point. However, they didn't say when that might happen.