DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP Internet issue

• deepblue12
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jun 2022 17:36 #1 by deepblue12
AP Internet issue was created by deepblue12
I have successfully connected my 2685ax to an AP810 via Wifi (2.4) and on the router i am using Bind IP to MAC. (NOT STRICT BIND)
If i connect a laptop to the LAN port of the AP then i can connect to the internet with no issues. However, if i try to connect via Wifi to the same device then internet is not available. I can ping the gateway address when connected to the LAN, but not when trying to use Wifi. If i disable Bind IP to Mac then i can connect via Wifi ok.
I have added the Laptop Wifi MAC address, plus the AP Mac address to the IP Bind List on the router and disabled Access control on the AP but nothing seems to work. Any assistance appreciated.
Please don't go the "remove Bind IP cause its useless" route...I'm after resolving an issue which is feature of the router. I've already logged a support request with Draytek but no idea how long they will take to respond

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2022 18:20 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: AP Internet issue
I use Bind IP a lot and have no problems with it, so I won't tell you not to use it.... 8)

Have you tried removing the laptop IP from the bind list but leaving the AP bound? If you can connect then what IP do you see the laptop connected as?

• deepblue12
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jun 2022 19:13 #3 by deepblue12
Replied by deepblue12 on topic Re: AP Internet issue
My DHCP scope is 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.150. Within this scope i have maybe 60 addresses assigned to BIND to IP devices
Tried your suggestion, it returned an address and connected correctly? Its Bind IP address which i removed was 192.168.1.26, now its picked up 192.168.1.14. However, its picked up the MAC address of the AP, NOT the laptop!
Can you advise what your logic is?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
13 Jun 2022 21:14 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: AP Internet issue

Deepblue12 wrote:
... However, its picked up the MAC address of the AP, NOT the laptop!

That, to me, sounds very much like you are using the AP810 in 'Universal Repeater Mode'. In this mode, it implements some kind of 'Nat-like' functionality - i.e. a many-to-one sort of architecture.

I believe WDS mode (if available) doesn't do this - but might take more configuring. (I own neither 2685 nor AP810).

More
14 Jun 2022 08:43 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: AP Internet issue

Deepblue12 wrote:

Can you advise what your logic is?

My logic was (no offense) that you might have entered the laptop's ethernet MAC, not its wifi adaptor MAC.

hornbyp might have hit on the answer

• deepblue12
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2022 09:17 #6 by deepblue12
Replied by deepblue12 on topic Re: AP Internet issue
Unfortunately the AP810 only supports 2.4ghz not 5ghz which is required for WDS so i am indeed using Repeater mode.
Its definitely the Wifi MAC that i've entered.
Think my options are to leave the devices connected to the AP without binding or upgrade to an AP that has WDS. This one was 2nd hand so no real issue to buy something different.

Thanks for everyone's input.