5G modem for draytek ?

• geroi
  • Topic Author
More
26 Sep 2022 17:21 #1 by geroi
5G modem for draytek ? was created by geroi
HI,
Can't see any threads on the forum ...
I'm using 2962 router with 4G ZTE MF823 USB modem with Three/Smarty network/sim just now and it works great.
Just noticed that EE enabled 5G mobile signal in my area so I would be tempted to try this out but I can't work out what modem would be able to handle 5G traffic and at the same time have ethernet (or USB) connection to the Draytek router ?
Has anyone tackled this wee challenge on UK market ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2022 19:31 #2 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: 5G modem for draytek ?
I don't think the 2962 is 5G ready.

Also, what would be the benefit of using 5G as a fail-over?

If you have a problem with your connection so that you're considering a 5G dongle, it's probably better to get your connection fixed, or to get a 5G device and use it instead.

• geroi
  • Topic Author
More
27 Sep 2022 08:47 #3 by geroi
Replied by geroi on topic Re: 5G modem for draytek ?
Hi Edinburgh, I'm not far away from you but a bit north and in the sticks.
Why I want 5G mobile dongle connected to router ?
My location where the router sits is sandwitched between rail tracks and dual carriageway and the only available connection there is ADSL with 5mbit down and 0.7mbit up via Openreach. No supplier will splash money to dig up the rail tracks or dual carriageway for this one building to get a better connection hence mobile option is my only option I have.
At the moment I use 5/0.7 ADSL for low traffic VPN and VOIP due to low latency of 40ms. At the same time I'm using LTE dongle for main browsing but this is only giving me about 13-15mbit download bandwidth but quite poor latency of 150ms.
5G signal is now available (so potentially 100mbit or more) at same cost as 4G signal - why not use it then ?
Question is what hardware will handle it for me.

More
28 Sep 2022 09:32 #4 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: 5G modem for draytek ?
That's terrible in terms of your predicament. However, there are some schemes on broadband for all and you should look into this to see if the gov would subsidise you getting a better connection, especially in the rural and if the Highlands. 4Mbps is low by current standards, and if working from home, this might be another reason to build your case. Openreach have more money than sense and I'm sure providing an optic connection for even one property in the sticks wouldn't be hard on their pockets.

It may be that you consider ditching ADSL altogether and just use a mobile connection (partly or wholly subsidised). Both Draytek and Fritzbox have routers for mobile broadband, but both are 4G. So a 5G dongle might be an option.

An option might be to get another tel. line and do something that's called line bonding.

There's a user on the Kitz forum called Weaver and I believe he's done that.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
28 Sep 2022 14:50 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 5G modem for draytek ?

edinburgh wrote:
However, there are some schemes on broadband for all and you should look into this to see if the gov would subsidise you getting a better connection, especially in the rural and if the Highlands.

OFCOM's info on the scheme is here: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/broadband-uso-need-to-know

An option might be to get another tel. line and do something that's called line bonding.

I believe that's the approach that was taken in Cornwall (done transparently by Openreach, rather than the customer), when "high speed" broadband was rolled-out to hard-to-reach properties. The original plan was to use satellite connection - but they went off the idea.

Speaking of satellites, there's always Starlink ...

• qwaz01
  • User
  • User
More
30 Sep 2022 13:28 #6 by qwaz01
Replied by qwaz01 on topic Re: 5G modem for draytek ?
I used a 4G connection at home as we only have ADSL available, although FTTP is currently being rolled out at the moment.

No Draytek routers currently support 5G, on a recent webinar they said this is due to the cost of the 5G modem chips. You could try and get a 5G modem/router that provides an ethernet port and then just connect it into the Draytek WAN port but you would end up double NAT so might have issues with VOIP.