DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

5G modem for draytek ?

• geroi
  • Topic Author
More
05 Oct 2022 13:29 #7 by geroi
Replied by geroi on topic Re: 5G modem for draytek ?

qwaz01 wrote:
I used a 4G connection at home as we only have ADSL available, although FTTP is currently being rolled out at the moment.

No Draytek routers currently support 5G, on a recent webinar they said this is due to the cost of the 5G modem chips. You could try and get a 5G modem/router that provides an ethernet port and then just connect it into the Draytek WAN port but you would end up double NAT so might have issues with VOIP.

Well this is exactly my approach here - have you seen any reasonable 5G modems with ethernet ports on the market ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• geroi
  • Topic Author
More
05 Oct 2022 13:44 #8 by geroi

edinburgh wrote:
That's terrible in terms of your predicament. However, there are some schemes on broadband for all and you should look into this to see if the gov would subsidise you getting a better connection, especially in the rural and if the Highlands. 4Mbps is low by current standards, and if working from home, this might be another reason to build your case. Openreach have more money than sense and I'm sure providing an optic connection for even one property in the sticks wouldn't be hard on their pockets.

It may be that you consider ditching ADSL altogether and just use a mobile connection (partly or wholly subsidised). Both Draytek and Fritzbox have routers for mobile broadband, but both are 4G. So a 5G dongle might be an option.

An option might be to get another tel. line and do something that's called line bonding.

There's a user on the Kitz forum called Weaver and I believe he's done that.

The funny thing is - we are not in the rural area at all - we are in the middle of busy city but the location being between rail line and dual carriageway is a killer here. I remember speaking to BT in the past and they mentioned 30k for a job like that :D No thanks I said :D

I find this crappy ADSL connection the best just now for VOIP and minor Lan2Lan traffic as sufficient. Won't be ditching this as it has brilliant 40ms latency - just the bandwidth of it is shi***.

• geroi
  • Topic Author
More
06 Oct 2022 11:54 #9 by geroi
Looks like ZTE MC801A in a bridge mode might be a good option.

More
06 Oct 2022 13:42 #10 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 5G modem for draytek ?
LAN port is only 100M though?

More
06 Oct 2022 16:45 #11 by desquinn
Replied by desquinn on topic Re: 5G modem for draytek ?
reviews on amazon say they were getting 350Mbps and has 2 GB ports. Looks like an interesting device. in my 5 minute search there were a couple of questions but could fill a hole for some scenarios.

Des Quinn

More
07 Oct 2022 08:27 #12 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 5G modem for draytek ?
I guess the LAN port spec here https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZTE-MC801A-Unlocked-Consumption-Warranty-dp-B0BD9BH7TB/dp/B0BD9BH7TB/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1 is wrong then :roll: