DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Nortel contivity "Banner Text" problem with 2820vn

• norman5007
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jun 2009 21:08 #1 by norman5007
I recently upgraded from vigor 2800vn > 2820vn as I soon will be migrating to cable. With my 2800 I could perfectly VPN into work with the contivity client on my local PC. Since I am using the 2820 I cannot connect via contivity client into work. The Banner text message is received but then the VPN connection is dropped.
My attempts to resolve this issue included:
- change of MTU from 1500 > 1400, 1391
- open ports UDP 500 & UDP 10001
- disable "UDP flood defense" in firewall
- disable remote access services on router (PPTP, IPSec and L2TP)
- put work PC on DMZ port

To my surprise non of the above (or various combinations resolved the problem. The VPN tunnel was initially established but then dropped.

PLEASE help I run out of ideas.

P.S.: I am certain that the problem must be with the 2820 since swapping back to my 2800 the VPN tunnel is establisehd without issues.

Norman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2009 18:42 #2 by drewy
disable all of the DDOS features on the router and then work back from there.
I work from home and use the same vpn client 24x7 with no issues, so it can be made to work.

• norman5007
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jun 2009 23:35 #3 by norman5007

drewy wrote: disable all of the DDOS features on the router and then work back from there.
I work from home and use the same vpn client 24x7 with no issues, so it can be made to work.

I turned all DDOS off but again contivity failed to setup a tunnel. Is there any chance to see in the logs what exactly causes the problem? What would I have to look for in the logs?

Norman

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jun 2009 09:11 #4 by macavity
Have you tried the latest firmware version? If you've tried the latest firmware then contact support to see what they say.

More
10 Jun 2009 14:08 #5 by drewy
I've had it working on all firmware versions that I've tried, so I don't think a firmware upgrade will necessarily help you.

Change back all the settings you mentioned in your first post. None of these are needed.

Then try it again, with the DOS feature switched off.

Let me know how that goes and what version of the client your running?

• norman5007
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jun 2009 12:54 #6 by norman5007
Thanks drewy I set all changes back and deactivated DDos. Still the same behaviour > no VPN tunnel is established.

Somebody asked the contivity version I am using: It is: V06_02.022

My company sent me another contivity profile and with that I could finally dial in (via another server in Europe). This is a workaround and still I would be interested to know why my 2800 allowed the basic VPN tunnels and the 2820 does not. I am now on my workaround and will leave it with this. Thanks again

Norman