DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Newbie VPN Setup

More
04 Mar 2010 13:02 #7 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Newbie VPN Setup
What you are doing is connecting in to your router.

On your PC there will be an option about Split Tunnelling. It is somewhere in the connection you set up. If you used the SmartVPN client there is a similar feature. I've no idea what it is called. You could Google for "split tunnelling" and you should find the answer. You do not want a split tunnel. This will then force all traffic from your PC through the VPN. I have a feeling this is the default M$ Windoze setting. If you enable split tunnelling, only traffic to your home LAN will go down the VPN and the rest of the traffic will go directly onto the internet.

You do not ave to do anything in particular to your router other than set up the VPN.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gingerprince
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Mar 2010 13:02 #8 by gingerprince
Replied by gingerprince on topic Newbie VPN Setup
OpenVPN - I don't think the 2820n supports that does it?

Can I change the ports that PPTP or IPSEC uses? If not, how could I poke through a restrictive firewall that only has say, 80 and 443 open?

More
04 Mar 2010 15:28 #9 by rpg
Replied by rpg on topic Newbie VPN Setup
If you are using Windows on your laptop / remote PC then all you do is configure the PPTP VPN Service on the router, create the "teleworker" (draytek terminology) username and password then from your remote pc create a new connection (VPN to my place of work) give it the IP address of your home router, the username and password that you setup and job done...

As I said before make sure you enable the "Use Default Gateway on Remote Network" from that remote PC and all your internet traffic will be routed to your draytek, your draytek will route it to the internet thereby making it look like your internet request originated in the UK.

Remote PC -> internet -> Draytek -> Internet -> BBC iplayer

• gingerprince
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2010 10:38 #10 by gingerprince
I should have said, I'm using a Mac. :? I think it's similar though..

Is there a way to change the port that the VPN server listens on? I can't see an option in the web interface but maybe there's a way to do it via the CLI?

thanks for all the help!

More
05 Mar 2010 15:09 #11 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Newbie VPN Setup

GingerPrince wrote: Is there a way to change the port that the VPN server listens on? I can't see an option in the web interface but maybe there's a way to do it via the CLI?

Why do you want to do that? Can you control the port the Mac sends to as well? I doubt it.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• gingerprince
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2010 18:08 #12 by gingerprince
because sometimes I'm behind firewalls that don't have the PPTP port open but they do have other ports open, such as 443 for example.