DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Route bbc.co.uk traffic through VPN

• rowanmcguane
  • Topic Author
More
18 Mar 2011 18:32 #1 by rowanmcguane
Route bbc.co.uk traffic through VPN was created by rowanmcguane
Hi guys, first post on the forum. Any help is much appreciated.

I've recently purchased a Vigor 2710n. It's working fine, excellent router! :D I've setup a PPTP VPN with a paid service (Overplay) and it works. However, as it stands I have the "Change default route to this VPN" option selected which routes ALL my traffic through the VPN when it's activated. I want to route traffic to CERTAIN destinations only, particularly BBC Radio & iPlayer services, through this tunnel (I live in Ireland and want to be able to listen to BBC 5 Live through wireless internet radio).

I know this seems to be possible by specifying destination IP addresses and networks in the "More" popup box of the LAN-to-LAN Profile page. My question is do you know the specific range of BBC IP addresses/Netmask values I should enter to achieve this, or is what I'm talking about even feasible? Again, any advice is much appreciated.

Regards,

Rowan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2011 16:20 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Route bbc.co.uk traffic through VPN
That's a really interesting way of looking at it, I was going to say that's definitely not going to work but if you have the VPN established but only used for specific public IPs then that could potentially work.

You can get the IP range that BBC are using by opening "nslookup" from the windows command prompt and in there enter the site names that you want to add, that should list the range of IPs available for each hostname so you can work out the subnets they're using.

More
26 Mar 2011 19:05 #3 by drewy
Replied by drewy on topic Re: Route bbc.co.uk traffic through VPN
It's certainly possible. I've used it with a US based vpn server to subscribe to Netflix.
However setup can be a pig. I used wireshark to track down all the servers involved and then set them to use the vpn (vigor to US box).

More
28 Mar 2011 18:20 #4 by maurice1
Replied by maurice1 on topic Re: Route bbc.co.uk traffic through VPN
Hi I am in the same boat as yourself,
I have an account with StrongVPN in London and I want my 2910 to VPN through it so my Freesat box can get BBC Iplayer.
My problem is that when I turn on the VPN on the 2910 and it shows as registered and is green, I can't surf from my PC. (just get page unavailable with numerous websites)
If you were able to get your 2710 to work what other settings did you try
I tried this method http://sbs.cstein.dk/blog/post/2011/02/05/Using-Draytek-Vigor-as-pptp-vpn-client.aspx
I have tried everything I can think of

Anyone any bright ideas?
Thanks
Maurice

More
01 Apr 2011 20:43 #5 by drewy
Replied by drewy on topic Re: Route bbc.co.uk traffic through VPN
Maurice,

try using something like open DNS as your dns servers. It could be that your client pc is trying to access your normal isp's dns servers and can't since your traffic is hitting the net via your vpn server which wouldn't have access to your isp's dns servers.

• rowanmcguane
  • Topic Author
More
07 Apr 2011 15:51 #6 by rowanmcguane
Replied by rowanmcguane on topic Re: Route bbc.co.uk traffic through VPN
Hi guys, sorry about the delay in getting back to this thread. Thanks for the reply's Voodle and drewy. Good news is that I've managed to solve the problem, using my old friend google, so figured I'd post for peoples future reference. Basically when setting up the static route on your router you need to specify the IP's and Netmask values that BBC use. As drewy said you can find these manually by using something like Wireshark, I personally found them on a random board. For all BBC services including iPlayer and Radio etc you enter:
212.58.0.0/16
and
212.62.0.0/16
The /16 bit is the netmask value which means you choose the 255.255.0.0 /16 value. As my router can have up to 2 simultaneous VPN tunnels I have a UK and US VPN tunnel setup. I'm still trying to get services such as Hulu and Netflix working but have managed to get Pandora working by adding these values:
208.85.0.0/16
64.95.61.0/24
64.94.123.0/24
208.85.40.0/24
208.85.41.0/24
67.225.0.0/24
Apparently these values can be made redundant and the services won't work anymore if the sites or services change their network settings so fingers crossed the BBC will leave things as is for the time being.
Maurice I think I had a similar issue to yourself when first trying to get things working, it said the VPN was connected (green etc.) but when activated I couldn't connect to any websites. Anyway the way I got it sorted was to totally disable the routers firewall and then everything went swimmingly :D . Anyhoo bit of a long winded post but hopefully it'll help people out. Don't know if it's allowed but for reference I'll give the links to where I found most of this info. Hopefully in future people might be able to post their network setting for various services, be good to keep thread going!

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=28715 (Channel 4OD works in Ireland so can't verify if these settings work)
http://web5.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=968046&mid=0&nmt=routing+tables+-+for+hulu+and+pandora+-+via+vpn+on+router (Hulu settings here don't seem to work).