L2TP IPsec VPN on Android 5.1.1 (Galaxy S6) - Vigor 2860

• johntankard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Aug 2015 12:35 #1 by johntankard
Hi Guys,

I am trying to setup a L2TP IPsec VPN up on one of our Android devices (a Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1). The feature is supported in the devices however it just wont connect, everything is setup correctly and it looks as though the tunnel does try to connect but just fails, I can connect fine using the connection from a Windows based PC but not the Android device, I have also tried a Sony tablet and it won't connect on that either.

Is there a fault or problem trying to do the above anyone is aware of? A PPTP tunnel connects fine but obviously I would prefer to be a little more secure.

Cheers John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2015 11:05 #2 by hendrikhubertus
Hi,

I have the same problem. The Galaxy S6 does not connect to my Vigor 2960 and Vigor 2920 with L2TP. I assume there is a problem with the new Android version because an older Android version 5.0 (with HTC One) does connect with L2TP. I think you have to wait for an android update for your phone. In the mean time you can use ssl vpn which works with the app from the play store. I am not shure though if your router supports ssl vpn. Better do not use pptp which is really insecure.

Hendrik

• johntankard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Aug 2015 11:18 #3 by johntankard
Hi Hendrik,

Thanks for that - thought I was going silly. The 2860 does support SSL VPN but I just cant get it to connect, Im sure Im doing something wrong. I have created a trusted certificate, changed the SSL port for the SSLVPN, created a dial in user - when connecting it just sits at SSL Tunnel Connecting for a while then the Java prompt appears saying the site has been verified do I want to continue, I click yes and then it just sits at SSL Tunnel Connecting and doesn't get any further. Can you offer any assistance if you have got it working?

Cheers John

• johntankard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Aug 2015 21:21 #4 by johntankard
Update - Instead of messing with the web browser SSL VPN I just downloaded the VPN client for PC and Android and now the SSL VPN connects. :D :D

More
11 Aug 2015 11:25 #5 by hendrikhubertus
Hi Johntankard,

Good that you found the solution. The smart vpn client is actually working the best. I had the java applet working but without the certificate. How did you manage to upload a trusted certificate? This does not work for me and also Draytek support could not manage it so they reported this to Draytek Taiwan. When I upload the signed certificate the user interface is not accessible any more. The certificate works on other server though.

Hendrik

More
08 Nov 2016 15:23 #6 by aweaton

HendrikHubertus wrote: Hi,

I have the same problem. The Galaxy S6 does not connect to my Vigor 2960 and Vigor 2920 with L2TP. I assume there is a problem with the new Android version because an older Android version 5.0 (with HTC One) does connect with L2TP. I think you have to wait for an android update for your phone. In the mean time you can use ssl vpn which works with the app from the play store. I am not shure though if your router supports ssl vpn. Better do not use pptp which is really insecure.

Hendrik

Has anyone managed to get L2TP with Android 6.0 and above to connect to a 2860? I notice there's a Knowledgebase article for iOS with L2TP but not for Android.
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-teleworker-smartvpn-l2tpoveripsec-ios