• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jan 2019 22:28 #1 by sidewinder
Cannot browse network over VPN was created by sidewinder
Hello,
I wonder if anyone can shed some light onto my situation please?

I'm not an expert on this stuff, and I've struggled with what I call advanced networking stuff before, and you guys on here have been kind enough to help, last time it was internal VLAN's, that's sorted, and I have had the VPN "dial in" set up for a while, but, I've never bothered with the user names as I am now trying to, because I was the only used & I could know the ip addresses.
However my daughter has now moved out, and I would like to give her a secure route back home to the NAS & printers.

So, I have a Draytek 2860vnp, and I have a "dial in" VPN set up, with the relevant user names passwords etc. all set up and working, it is sat on a fixed IP from our ISP, and all that side is fine.

I can access all the remote (home) network resources via their local IP address, i.e. that is the internal home network IP address, that includes our Network Attached Storage device, however, I cannot browse the network, nor can I access the NAS via it's computer name "diskstation", but I can access it as I say via the IP.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jan 2019 00:23 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Cannot browse network over VPN
It might be as easy as ...

...Enabling Netbios Browsing, for the "Remote Access User Account" (from VPN and Remote Access >> Remote Dial-in User )

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jan 2019 07:20 #3 by sidewinder
Replied by sidewinder on topic Re: Cannot browse network over VPN
Thanks, unfortunately that is already enabled/set to allow/pass Netbios naming packet! ;(

NetBios is also set to be on, on the "dial in" computers too.

More
09 Jan 2019 10:01 #4 by chrisw
Replied by chrisw on topic Re: Cannot browse network over VPN
If it is a Windows client you are trying to connect then I have found the interface metric to sometimes be the issue. Reducing the value for the VPN adapter can prioritise the VPN route over the other possible options. For example:
https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=22608&p=92978&hilit=metric#p92978

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jan 2019 16:01 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Cannot browse network over VPN

Sidewinder wrote: Thanks, unfortunately that is already enabled/set to allow/pass Netbios naming packet! ;(

Drat :)

More configuration details required then ...

1. What are the clients? (windows PCs?)

2. What type of VPN is it and what client software is in use?

3. Are the VPN clients on the same subnet as the NAS?

4. Is there a WINS server or local DNS server in your configuration?

By all means try @ChrisW's suggestion. It could also be a lot of other things, from protocols not being bound to adapters, to firewalling...

(If the VPN clients are Windows PC's, you might be able to get them working by modifying the "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\LMHOSTS" file to statically define your hosts (on each VPN client). This file probably doesn't exist, but there should be a sample (called LMHOSTS.SAM) that you can use as template. It contains some instructions and examples.

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jan 2019 19:36 #6 by sidewinder
Replied by sidewinder on topic Re: Cannot browse network over VPN
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.
I am trying this on one machine only first, pretty sure that if I can get one working I can roll it out.
I want to make it easy because I might end up with more than two to do!

OK, I could not find the "interface metric" in the "Draytek Smart VPN Client (SVC)" settings.
I can't see the point in changing the inbuilt WiFi or Ethernet settings as it is these I will be connecting through at all times, and if that has to be changed at every VPN session then it's going to be a real pain!
Basically what I am trying to do is set a VPN up back to base via whatever connection is available.

I am testing this with a hot spot on my EE 4G iPhone to be the external connection.

When "at home" all the computers are on the same sub net, the client I am trying this out with is a Windows 7 Pro 64 pc.
I would like to get this up and running on Win10, but that is after I get the first machine going.
Obviously when I use the 4G hotspot, the IP's are different.
However, when I connect with the Draytek SVC I get an IP from the "home" pool, so I am then on the same sub net as all the other resources.

The VPN protocol is L2TP over IPSec, and has a pre-shared key set, and username/passwords.
There are sometimes issues with the connection, but, when it connects and is stable, then it seems, fine.
Basically the fundamental connection to the 2860vnp via 4G makes ok.

No WINS nor DNS servers on the local network as far as I know.
It's a home based peer to peer.
The NAS is a Synology, so using a flavour of Linux (Unix) I believe as an OS.

I don't think it is firewalling because I can access all resources via their IP address, I just can't browse the network, nor can I access any devices by name, i.e. my file server, but I can access it via it's IP.
I also cannot browse to any of the other devices connected to the network, e.g. printers, but, I can access the printer "home page" via it's IP address.