Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Cannot browse network over VPN

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
13 Jan 2019 00:14 #13 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Cannot browse network over VPN

Sidewinder wrote: I was thinking about a WINS server. Something else I know nothing about

In a nutshell, it's central repository where netbios names can be registered and queried. It then replaces or augments the 'broadcast-based' mechanisms that are normally used (that don't play well with routers).

The only hard part part about using one, is making sure everything uses it. In the Microsoft world, their DHCP server makes it easy to pass the WINS Server address to clients, at the same time as they are given their IP address. With other DHCP servers, it's potentially possible to do this ... but that represents yet another learning curve. :roll:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Jan 2019 08:32 #14 by sidewinder
Replied by sidewinder on topic Re: Cannot browse network over VPN
Ahh, now the Draytek is the DHCP server, so if I set the Synology as a WINS server that might not work?
Or I will have to move the DHCP to the Synology too, again a learning curve I may not be ready for!
Yet...

Thanks for your help.

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Jan 2019 09:54 #15 by sidewinder
Replied by sidewinder on topic Re: Cannot browse network over VPN
Just looked this up, I can, set the Synology to be a WINS server, & I can set the Draytek to give out he WINS server address, however...
Whist this might be 20 yr old technology, I have to telnet into them both to change the settings!!!
That takes me back to the mid 80's and early CNC/PLC systems, pretty poor that both Synology & Draytek, both require Telnet in this day and age to make simple changes to configurations.
I get Telnet for recovery options when things go wrong, but this is silly.
Never mind, here we go,puTTY time, if I'm missing for a few weeks, you'll know I messed it up! ;)