DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Cannot browse network over VPN

More
09 Jan 2019 19:47 #7 by chrisw
Replied by chrisw on topic Re: Cannot browse network over VPN
The metric lives in the Windows network settings, so:
Right Click Start Button > Network Connections > Change Adapter Options > DraySSLTunnel (right click) > Properties > Networking Tab > TCP/IPv4 (select) > Properties > Advanced > Then IP settings
ensure 1) Use default gateway on remote network & 2) Uncheck automatic metric & use value 10

Hope this makes some sense!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jan 2019 03:31 #8 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Cannot browse network over VPN

ChrisW wrote: The metric lives in the Windows network settings, so:
Right Click Start Button > Network Connections > Change Adapter Options > DraySSLTunnel (right click) > Properties > Networking Tab > TCP/IPv4 (select) > Properties > Advanced > Then IP settings...

But @Sidewinder is using L2TP/IPSec ... so it will be one of the 'conventional' RAS entries, rather than DraySSL Tunnel.

AIUI, SmartVPN just configures underlying Windows components, apart from when implementing an SSL VPN. If SmartVPN has been used to implement the L2TP/IPSec VPN, it creates and dynamically modifies a RAS entry called "To Vigor". (If there is more than one SmartVPN VPN connection, it will at least update and possibly recreate this "To Vigor" entry, when switching profiles...that scenario could make modifying it yourself awkward!... it might be advisable to create an L2TP/IPsec connection manually)

Sidewinder wrote: the client I am trying this out with is a Windows 7 Pro 64 pc.
I would like to get this up and running on Win10, but that is after I get the first machine going.

All bets are off with Windows 7, it's very close to end-of-life! People (on here) have experienced a variety of VPN problems with Win7.

I've spent a happy (not really!) couple of hours, testing with my Windows 10 laptop with L2TP/IPSec, via my phone hotspot. (The hours were mainly spent repairing "netbt is not bound to any devices" errors that were afflicting it. :cry: )

When normal service was finally resumed, I found that I too, cannot 'browse' the network - it's not something I normally do, so I'd not noticed before!) I could access resources by name, but I have a DNS-based infrastructure so that is not surprising. The 'dos' "Net view" command only showed my laptop and "Network" in File Explorer only showed non file-based things (like the router).

I did however get it working, via the LMHOSTS file...

It is necessary to enable LMHOSTS lookup in the VPN entry (hence my previous comments) ... it's buried near the "automatic metric" setting, but it's on the "WINS" tab, rather than the "IP Settings" tab.

I'm not sure exactly what you would need to put in your LMHOSTS. I just needed an entry for one of my domain controllers, labelled with "#DOM:xxx". Even though the domain controller I chose wasn't actually the "Master Browser" at the time, it was enough to make it all spring into life. In your case, you may need all systems adding, or perhaps just the one acting as "Master Browser" will suffice. (You may be able to get the NAS to take on this role - I don't know, having never used one)

I'd be interested to hear anyone else thoughts on this...

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jan 2019 15:11 #9 by sidewinder
Replied by sidewinder on topic Re: Cannot browse network over VPN
OK, thanks for the help everyone.

I have, kind of got it working, enough for what I need, changes I was hoping to avoid but hey ho.
I can try and tweak it from here.

I had to add a line to my "hosts" file:
a.b.c.d NAS Name

Where a.b.c.d is the local network ip address of the NAS & "NAS Name" is the computer name of the NAS unit.
This I was hoping to avoid as I will have to do it on every machine. :(

I also set the NAS as a master browser, it's a Synology unit, and it can act as a domain controller, so that is an option, but I don't know enough about domains to set it up yet!

This at least allows us to access the file server using \\NAS name\share
So all the short cuts set up on the local network will work.

Now to try and get my iPhone re-connecting via the VPN, I broke it when trying to sort this out.

I have tried creating a Windows native VPN connection to my system, by creating the native Windows VPN and copying the settings from the "To Vigor" connection, but I can't get it to work, as far as I can see ALL the settings are identical, but the native Windows VPN connection will not connect, & I don't understand the error logs to diagnose why. It just tells me that the user name and password are incorrect, they are the same as those used with the Draytek Smart VPN client set up. :(
Not too bothered about this, unless anyone has a brilliant idea as to why please?

At least I can now get at the shares by share name rather than IP, and the other users will be able to as well, plus got the printing working so that helps too.

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jan 2019 15:23 #10 by sidewinder
^^ Oops!

You can't VPN into a network when you are connected to the internal wifi of said network!

When I turned the wifi off on the iPhone & set up the VPN again it worked! :oops:

Thanks for the help.

I have just realised I have two Win10 clients to set up too! Don't know Win10, if I get stuck over the next few weeks, I'll be back. ;)

I wish I could provide help around here, but I'm such a novice at this I would be useless, which is why I at least answer my threads when I get a solution so that it might help someone else.

My speciality is machinery & electrical installations stuff, not computers and networking like this!

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jan 2019 18:32 #11 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Cannot browse network over VPN

Sidewinder wrote: I had to add a line to my "hosts" file:
a.b.c.d NAS Name

Glad that's enough to get you going. (The LMHOSTS file represents a more 'complete' solution, but is more complex to configure. (BTW, the "LM" refers to "Lan Manager" ... the 30+ year old networking implementation that underpins File and Printer sharing))

He also wrote: I also set the NAS as a master browser, it's a Synology unit, and it can act as a domain controller, so that is an option, but I don't know enough about domains to set it up yet!

I was doing a bit of reading about Synology NAS units and it seems possible to set some of them up as a "WINS Server", which all clients can reference. (Then you'd only be 20 years behind the times :D )

Later he wrote:
I have tried creating a Windows native VPN connection to my system, by creating the native Windows VPN and copying the settings from the "To Vigor" connection, but I can't get it to work, as far as I can see ALL the settings are identical... It just tells me that the user name and password are incorrect, they are the same as those used with the Draytek Smart VPN client set up. :(

Double-check that you've not got the above ticked. Even though you don't have an Active Directory Domain, it will try and fabricate a reference to one by using the 'computer name'.

This sometimes results in it sending "Computername\Username password", instead of just "Username password".

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jan 2019 18:36 #12 by sidewinder
Hi,
I tried, it with and without! ;(
I can do the LMHOSTS file if I have to, I'm looking for a minimal solution though! ;)

I was thinking about a WINS server. Something else I know nothing about!
I can set the Synology as an Active Directory Server, but that is way more than my brain can cope with I think!!! :lol: