• jayworm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Mar 2021 17:04 #1 by jayworm
Xbox System Link (LAN to LAN) was created by jayworm
Hi All,

I have a IPsec tunnel between two 2860's, all my day-to-day applications work as expected.

Has anyone managed to get a system link working with two xbox's, one at each end of the tunnel? I've Googled everything I can think of. Latency between the sites is around 15ms.

I have an active Gold account, some of the older games (think I miss playing) only support local play. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bogga666
  • User
  • User
More
30 Mar 2021 15:08 #2 by bogga666
Replied by bogga666 on topic Re: Xbox System Link (LAN to LAN)
Do you need to pass Multicast to make it work?

• jayworm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Mar 2021 15:29 #3 by jayworm
Replied by jayworm on topic Re: Xbox System Link (LAN to LAN)
Hi bogga666,

Multicast is enabled and I’m seeing some multi cast packs on the other end of the tunnel. I’m not convinced all are getting through.

Jason

• jayworm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Apr 2021 19:30 #4 by jayworm
IGMP packets are not being passed over my VPN.

I connected directly to an xbox and I see IGMPv3 packets being broadcast when hosting a game, im not seeing these packets over my tunnel. Im going to look at how i can route IGMPv3, any help would be appreciated.

Jason

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Apr 2021 00:33 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Xbox System Link (LAN to LAN)

jayworm wrote:
Multicast is enabled and I’m seeing some multi cast packs on the other end of the tunnel. I’m not convinced all are getting through.

Well to be fair, it does say "(for some IGMP)...", as though it has a limited list built-in. I know it doesn't work with DLNA :cry:

Short of adding a Proxy to the local and remote LANs (pair of Raspberry Pi's?) ... I reckon the answer is GRE ...

I'm well outside my comfort zone here, but I don't think this is fully implemented by the 2860 anyway. (My main experience is with a 2830<-->2860 VPN, and the 2830 has even less functionality, so I've more or less given up).

There is a Draytek article here: https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5363 , but it's for the 3900/2960. However, the description contains the following :-

Draytek wrote: When bridging over GRE function is enabled, all Ethernet traffic, including ARP, DHCP, IGMP, from the selected VLAN will be bridged to the other side of GRE tunnel, just as if there were a physical Ethernet cable between the two routers.

Obviously, the detail in that article is not applicable, but the 2860 does have "GRE Tunnel" in the "Common Settings" section of a "LAN to LAN" profile. The manual is not very forthcoming and says only the following (sic) :-

Tunnel Mode – At present, a tunnel (GRE tunnel) without encryption is offered to fit the requiarement of specific client.

(The option is not present on the 2830, so I have no means of pursuing this further).

There is also this article: https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/4919 , where they appear to use GRE to aggregate two separate VPNs. If you add some similar settings - for a single VPN - SYSLOG reveals GRE supposedly being configured, but it seems to have no beneficial effect :-(

Something to play with, if nothing else :wink:

• jayworm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Apr 2021 09:07 #6 by jayworm
Hi,

Thanks for the replay, my routers do have gre and I’ve attempted to configure but without success.

The webgui has been massively updated; some features have been either removed, relocated or added making them difficult to follow.

I’m not giving up just yet, the long weekend may not have been the best time to try this.

I’ll let you know how progress goes, with lockdown starting to lift it may be a few weekends until I get ‘time’ to look at this.

Thanks again for the guidance, from my own research, this looks promising.

Jason