DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Remote VPN connection giving wrong subnet

• scoot74
  • Topic Author
More
23 Sep 2005 10:39 #1 by scoot74
Hi,

I've just started working in an office that use a Vigor2600V series router (firmware 255RC4_UK) and have been trying to connect remotely (from home) into the network for a variety of reasons.

Using the standard VPN settings in XP on the home machine and having the account set up on the rounter a connection is establised but cannot ping or browse the internal network at all. When i use the IPConfig command the VPN connection has been given a IP address on the internal network fine enough but the subnet mask is being assigned as 255.255.255.255 rather than 255.255.255.0 and think this might be causing the problem.

I've looked through the setup on the router but can't find anywhere that this can be set differently! Anyone come across any problems like this before or know how to set the subnet mask for a VPN connection?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2005 18:32 #2 by trublake
Replied by trublake on topic Re: Remote VPN connection giving wrong subnet

Scoot74 wrote: .. but the subnet mask is being assigned as 255.255.255.255 rather than 255.255.255.0 and think this might be causing the problem.

That's what XP does with VPN connections (you should find the default gateway is set to the new IP address that has been assigned). Some previous versions of windows set the mask to .0 and left the gateway blank.

It should work either way. Is there a conflict between the remote ip range and your local address?

p

• scoot74
  • Topic Author
More
25 Sep 2005 19:30 #3 by scoot74
Replied by scoot74 on topic Re: Remote VPN connection giving wrong subnet

trublake wrote: ..

It should work either way. Is there a conflict between the remote ip range and your local address?

Shouldn't be, no assigned IP address on the network card at remote location as its only one pc......
Going to have to have another look at the firewall on the network. Its a strange program i've never seen before, might switch it off and try and connect without it in the way and see what happens.

More
26 Sep 2005 12:44 #4 by trublake

Scoot74 wrote: Shouldn't be, no assigned IP address on the network card at remote location as its only one pc......

I meant the one your pc gets when there is no vpn?

Going to have to have another look at the firewall on the network.

Good idea. Also local firewall - if any.

p

• scoot74
  • Topic Author
More
26 Sep 2005 12:47 #5 by scoot74
Replied by scoot74 on topic Re: Remote VPN connection giving wrong subnet

trublake wrote:

Scoot74 wrote: Shouldn't be, no assigned IP
I meant the one your pc gets when there is no vpn?

The ISP assigned one? nope definately no conflict there.

Good idea. Also local firewall - if any.

Yeah local firewall was disabled straight away to see if that was a problem

More
28 Sep 2005 13:30 #6 by trublake

Scoot74 wrote: The ISP assigned one? nope definately no conflict there.

Ah, you must be on a modem and not a router. I assumed a DHCP router so that your home pc had a private address which may have been on the same subnet as the VPN allocated one.

Can you try the VPN from a different location?

p