DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Remote VPN connection giving wrong subnet

More
20 Dec 2005 22:10 #7 by kensharp
Replied by kensharp on topic Re: Remote VPN connection giving wrong subnet

trublake wrote:
That's what XP does with VPN connections (you should find the default gateway is set to the new IP address that has been assigned). Some previous versions of windows set the mask to .0 and left the gateway blank.

That's not correct.
An XP to XP VPN will allow you assign any IP details you like.
XP won't be prejudiced against VPN servers on routers, so "that is what XP does" is an unlikely reason.

There is some other reason. All evidence points towards the router assigning an incorrect subnet mask.
There are settings on the router to offer the subnet mask during DHCP, but using different settings does not affect the actual subnet mask given to connecting VPN clients, for some reason.

Someone must know how to solve this?

Vigor 2800G : Firmware 2.8.1
Extremely useful: Draytek Syslog from Router Tools and Wireshark (previously Ethereal).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2005 16:29 #8 by trublake
Replied by trublake on topic Re: Remote VPN connection giving wrong subnet

KenSharp wrote: An XP to XP VPN will allow you assign any IP details you like.

but this is XP to Vigor. I use teleworker connections from different versions of windows and have always seen this subnet difference, but it does not effect connectivity.

p

More
16 Jan 2006 16:27 #9 by peteh

trublake wrote:

KenSharp wrote: An XP to XP VPN will allow you assign any IP details you like.

but this is XP to Vigor. I use teleworker connections from different versions of windows and have always seen this subnet difference, but it does not effect connectivity.

p

trublake - what you say is correct - in most cases the XP/2000 VPN connections will give the IP from the router with a mask of 255.255.255.255 and default gateway of either blank,the same ip as your main ip address occasionally another ip (I've seen this on an MS VPN server where the VPN side IP of the Box was in the DG)

I suspect masks are to blame but not sure - I have another thread running with the same problem - I'll look at our teleworker config...

Right - there are no relavent configs in the teleworker setup - ours work fine in default - the local subnet mask in the main LAN settings needs to be correct for the office network of the router may become confused. Check this mask matches that of the main LAN. Everything else in defaults works fine for PPTP connections (2600G V2.5.7 (in fact 2.5.3 thru 2.5.7))

More
16 Jan 2006 16:44 #10 by farrow42
Replied by farrow42 on topic Remote VPN connection giving wrong subnet
Scoot74,

I'm having a similar dilema. If you suuceed, let me know. Peteh is trying to help me also.

More
07 Aug 2006 23:48 #11 by bitbandit
Replied by bitbandit on topic Remote VPN connection giving wrong subnet
Try unchecking "use default gateway on remote network" in properties/networking/internet protocol/advanced. Default is to use g/w on remote network which won't know where your local stuff is. To use remote and local uncheck it.

More
08 Aug 2006 00:55 #12 by kensharp
Replied by kensharp on topic Remote VPN connection giving wrong subnet
That has nothing to do with subnets.

Vigor 2800G : Firmware 2.8.1
Extremely useful: Draytek Syslog from Router Tools and Wireshark (previously Ethereal).