DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Identifying exact Wireless connection parameters

• skarbd
  • Topic Author
More
04 Oct 2009 10:40 #1 by skarbd
Good morning all,

I am seeking to find a piece of software, which will tell me exactly what speed/protocol my wireless network card is connecting to wireless N network.

To try to explain this further. I have a 2820vn which I have matched off with a Belkin wireless n desktop card. I chose this card, since it offered an antenna which I could move into a position which could offered an virtually unimpeeded (Bar a break wall) LOS to the router.

To test my wireless N network, I switched the network into N only. Since I had another N device I knew worked. However the belkin obtained a connection, but give my an error indication on the windows taskbar. When I changed the network to N/G/B it provided a connection again.

So what I would like to know is with the mixed mode running, what speed/connection does the Belkin card think it's operating at. Which is why I am looking for some software to tell me. I "Ass"ume that the network card would know if it's havening to operate at b/g or n.

I am currently using firmware 3.3.1.1_232201

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• skarbd
  • Topic Author
More
07 Oct 2009 11:07 #2 by skarbd
Hello again,

After some more testing with CUTEFTP to my NAS box I get 2 speeds, moving a 400MB file.

1. Hardwire connection to 2820vn -> NAS box = 80Mbps
2. Wireless N connection to 2820vn -> NAS box, using Belkin N1 desktop card = 300kbps.

The wireless connection is showing 4 bars all the time to the wireless network.

3. I will test my wireless n laptop tonight to see if it's a location issue (As best as I can to duplicate).

So at the moment, without testing option 3, I think the connection is good, but for some reason it may be dropping down to a lower wireless specification and thus the appalling speed. Which is why I like to know if I can ask the wireless n card, what it thinks it's doing ;).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PS - I am using Windows 7 most recent RC form MS Technet.

More
07 Oct 2009 12:23 #3 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Identifying exact Wireless connection parameters
You could try vistumbler to identify if any other APs nearby use the same channel as you. However this won't identify if other kit ie phones baby alarms or apparently worst of all senders that relay your video or dvd remote to another room are causing interference. Remember they could be in a neighbours house!

Howard

• skarbd
  • Topic Author
More
07 Oct 2009 13:47 #4 by skarbd
I have already checked using the station scan function on the 2820. channel 3 was not used by anyone. Plus it was a couple of channels away from the nearest used channel.

We have a baby alarm, which sits on the same cabinet as the wireless receiver/media centre/tv. Can I imply from this, that this is far from good ?

More
07 Oct 2009 15:59 #5 by voodle
What wireless security mode are you using?

More
07 Oct 2009 19:58 #6 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Identifying exact Wireless connection parameters
There was a recent report I think it was on the radio about poor WIFI performance and they said research had identified interference from common home appliances as the main culprit, 2nd top of the list were baby alarms. Does it have a sticker saying WIFI friendly, as the latest ones do?

Howard

Moderators: Sami