• skarbd
  • Topic Author
More
09 Oct 2009 07:51 #7 by skarbd
@voodle

I am using WPA currently.

@Howard

No it doesn't.

I have been conducting some further tests.

1. Hardwire connection to 2820vn -> NAS box = 80Mbps
2. Wireless N desktop connection to 2820vn -> NAS box, using Belkin N1 desktop card = 300kbps.
3. Wireless N laptop connection to 2820vn = 5 - 8 Mbps (NEW test).

While I have been "Playing" with the connections I set the router to Wireless N mode only.

The 3. laptop connection dropped out. When looking at the event log, it stated it couldn't connect at N. So this implies that it's dropping down to G, which makes 2. even more unimpressive.

Also I will be taking the laptop around the house, to perform some room by room testing, to deduce my theoretical maximum wireless FTP, in optimum conditions.

I will be looking to buy the wireless N usb fob from Draytek. Which I will use to perform further tests on both the desktop (Media centre) and laptop. I will then retest the laptop against all rooms.

If I am not careful, I can see myself taking a bolster to the walls on the ground floor and laying cat 6 into them and just doing a proper job :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2009 15:06 #8 by admin
Ignore any PC's "wireless signal strength" meter. In my experience they are only barely useful and certainly not indiciative of the 'usefulness' of the signal. The most useful test, as you have done, is an actual throughput test, seeing as that's what you'll be using it for...

Forum Administrator

• skarbd
  • Topic Author
More
17 Oct 2009 10:49 #9 by skarbd
Back again.

More testing and here is what I have.

I have been conducting some further tests and expanded the information on the ones I had already done.

Tests 2 - 5 are all conducted in the same room. Which is not the same room as the router.

1. Hardwire connection Desktop to 2820vn -> NAS box = 80Mbps (From XP Pro OS)
2. Wireless N Desktop connection to 2820vn -> NAS box, using Belkin N1 desktop card = 300kbps (Windows 7 x86 OS).
3. Wireless N Laptop connection to 2820vn l 4965) -> NAS Box, using (Intel 4965) = 5 - 8 Mbps (Vista Premium x86 OS).
NEW 4. Wireless N USB Laptop to 2820vn (Draytek N61) -> NAS Box = 4 - 8 Mbps (Vista Premium x86 OS)
NEW 5. Wireless N USB Desktop to 2820vn (Draytek N61) -> NAS Box = Failed, can't get the device to connect or the Draytek wireless app to fire up.
NEW 6. SAME ROOM Wireless N Laptop connection to 2820vn l 4965) -> NAS Box, using (Intel 4965) = 9 - 12.5 Mbps (Vista Premium x86 OS).

I have turned of QOS on Wan 2. Which is the wan I am using the cable modem.

I'm not sure why I am having so many problem with Windows 7 with wireless. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

I think unless there is some ground breaking cockup on my part (Which there may well be), then I will have to put wireless into, don't use unless a brand new house option and goto stage 2, which is network over powerline.

I am really do want to avoid laying cat 6 into the ground floor wall, since it's so hard to get a reliable plasterer :)

More
17 Oct 2009 14:14 #10 by voodle
Try forcing WPA2 with AES rather than mixed, WPA with TKIP encryption isn't good for 802.11n

• skarbd
  • Topic Author
More
17 Oct 2009 20:51 #11 by skarbd
Thanks Voodle I will give that a go.

• skarbd
  • Topic Author
More
21 Oct 2009 14:27 #12 by skarbd
I gave it a go, but it didn't have any real difference.

I have ordered a powerline product and will be trying that.

Moderators: Sami