AP700 intermittent connection

• rydercowan
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Jul 2010 22:13 #1 by rydercowan
AP700 intermittent connection was created by rydercowan
I've recently obtained an AP700 having had a 2820n for quite some time. My desktop PC is remote from my router, and I wanted to be able to use wireless-n to connect the desktop to the 2820n using station-infrastructure mode. I've previously used an old Cisco WET200 wireless-g bridge to do the job, and that has proved very reliable.
I'm finding the AP700 a bit of a nightmare! I managed to get it to connect in station-infrastructure mode eventually, after a struggle. Many times when I tried to access the device using its assigned IP address it would not respond, then all of a sudden it responded. Many times when I tried to do a wireless site survey, it would not respond.
Now it's connected, the connection does not seem to be reliable. I'm using WPA2. I have the router set to g+n, and the AP700 set to b+g+n. I'm not entirely sure whether that will result in wireless-n being used, but if I try to set the AP700 to n only, the connection won't work. When sending large files across the network the wireless connection frequently stalls and I can see the file transfer pause - the WLAN light goes out on the AP700, and I've once seen the PWR light go out momentarily - I have UPS, so I know there's not a mains problem. Sometimes the connection resumes by itself, and sometimes it 'breaks' and the file transfer fails. Sometimes the connection remains 'broken' for a minute or so and will then resume spontaneously.
I've tried swapping channels, but that doesn't seem to help. Reported signal strength is variable, usually better than 85%, although the WET200 consistently achieves 100% in exactly the same physical location.
From the forum posts I can see that the AP700 perhaps has its ideosyncracies, but I'm tempted to conclude it's faulty. Or can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2010 10:40 #2 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic AP700 intermittent connection
Have you tried it in bridge mode that provides the same functionality but in a different manner it may be more stable?

Howard

• rydercowan
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Jul 2010 22:28 #3 by rydercowan
Replied by rydercowan on topic AP700 intermittent connection
Thanks for your suggestion. But wouldn't I need two AP700s to use the bridge mode?

More
15 Jul 2010 08:39 #4 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic AP700 intermittent connection
No the 2820 has bridge mode built in. if you go to the wireless management pages its under wds.

Howard

• rydercowan
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jul 2010 12:35 #5 by rydercowan
Replied by rydercowan on topic AP700 intermittent connection
Thanks for the tip. I have now tried using bridge mode to the 2820n, but the AP700 is no more stable than in station-infrastructure or universal repeater mode. I've spoken to DrayTek support, who suspected some kind of interference problem. However, I explained that I've tried swopping wireless channels, have used a wi-fi analyser to check that no-one else within range is using the channel I've selected, or any adjacent channels, and have a Cisco WET200 bridge that gives a stable connection from exactly the same physical location. At that point they decided the AP700 may well be faulty, so it's going back to be tested.

More
23 Oct 2010 01:39 #6 by markturnip
Replied by markturnip on topic AP700 intermittent connection
I have the identical combination of 2820N with two AP700's, both in WDS-Bridge mode. I've updated both AP-700's to 1.15 & the 2820N is currently on 3.3.4_232201.

I test both by pinging each of the IP's of the AP700's and a device directly connected to each - ie a printer & computer on each. All seems to respond to pings displaying that everything is connected fine.

But as soon as I try accessing something connected to one of the AP700's the ping's timeout.

So for example I try and access a Xerox printer configuration page - the page begins to load & then suddenly my pings drop & timeout on both the printer and AP700... After about 2 minutes they pick up again & the process starts over. The same applied if I try to access the AP700 admin page.

No idea why this should happen? I hope I've explained what's happening well enough.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Mark