How to simply block an IP

• dgeldard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Jan 2013 20:08 #1 by dgeldard
How to simply block an IP was created by dgeldard
I have a 2710 and a number of IP addresses are accessing the router, there are a few in a long list that I want to quickly block. How best to do this without changing passwords, creating rules etc.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jan 2013 00:25 #2 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: How to simply block an IP
hello
I am sure both ways will block wired & wireless devices

1-
Go to Diagnostics >> Data Flow Monitor
You can block from there 5 min (it should have unlimited time)any ip you want
2-
LAN >> Bind IP to MAC
First turn auto log off ... to complete Off
It may take you long time if are many devices so if is auto log off you will have to do all from begin

You can register the devices you want have access there & click enable (at this point other devices that have not register will have access)

Then if you select/click Strict Bind, unspecified LAN clients (you have not register will appear at left window) but cannot access the Internet ( i think even if they have passwords) apart the devices you have register

This is the simplest way i know with out creating rules etc...so come back again to check if other members have other suggestions

• dgeldard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jan 2013 06:24 #3 by dgeldard
Replied by dgeldard on topic Re: How to simply block an IP
Thanks Babis3g,
I think however the options you describe only block users from the Internet and not the router. Is this true?

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jan 2013 12:14 #4 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: How to simply block an IP

Dgeldard wrote: Thanks Babis3g,
I think however the options you describe only block users from the Internet and not the router. Is this true?

I see what you mean...yes you right
Just tried Diagnostics >> Data Flow Monitor with my mobi (wireless) and yes it blocks it from the internet but it is getting access to router

Then sorry about my suggestion but hope it will be useful for other members ... so in this case i am interesting as well how to block access from router

More
22 Jan 2013 14:34 #5 by sarge
Replied by sarge on topic Re: How to simply block an IP

Dgeldard wrote: Thanks Babis3g,

I think you need to clarify your question.

Are they external ip's or internal [starting 192.x.x.x] ?

To prevent access to the router controls use a decent password and change the default gateway from 192.168.1.1 to another ip so they don't get the login screen.

To prevent other access [internet etc] set the access control in wifi [wireless LAN] so only the specified mac can use it. You have the choice of a whitelist [allowed] and a blacklist [blocked].

There are plenty of good tools like bind ip to mac in LAN or firewall rules or access control that can help you to do what ever you want. :)

Maybe if you describe the problem your having and what you want to achieve someone in here may be able to help better.

• dgeldard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2013 10:31 #6 by dgeldard
Replied by dgeldard on topic Re: How to simply block an IP
Thanks Sarge,

Basically a number of people have access wirelessly to my router. We are experiencing issues when certain individuals are abusing various machines like wireless printers extra on the network. What I simply want to do is identify those specific people and their ip addresses and add them to a block list so that they can't get back on my wireless network and cause havoc. I could change the WEP key but there are so many devices blocking was seen as an easier option.
Hope that makes things a bit clearer.

Thanks