2820n wifi drops out

• saskwoch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Mar 2013 16:01 #1 by saskwoch
2820n wifi drops out was created by saskwoch
The wifi on my 2820n is dropping out for no apparent reason. This was happening once-in-a-blue-moon but is now happening more than once a week, and now twice in the last five days, so clearly getting worse.

The unit is otherwise working, with cabled devices not having an issue. Nothing is showing in the WLAN and diagnostic pages, but laptops and tablets around the house abruptly loose the signal. All I can do it power off/on or else login to the unit and restart it. Then everything is back working again.

I purchased it around 2009. I do have more devices connecting to it these days, using it more.

If this is a known issue I'd appreciate some pointers.

Many Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2013 19:59 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
if it happens for all devices at once and a reboot / power cycle fixes it then there's likely to be a fault with the router or wireless hardware.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
21 Mar 2013 03:10 #3 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
If is day/night on it may be a case is getting old >how ever usually drayteks are strong
Need to check few points first
I will say as mentioned maybe a fault with wi-fi and to try a power cycle(take out all cables including electric power, press for only 1 second the small reset hall while is out of power and leave it Off for about 2 min)

Also to add it may be the power supply. If you have any extension devices plugged in the main electrical socket try take out some and see if is still making problems
Make sure the antennas at the back are screwed tight enough and maybe it needs a firmware update.What is the current firmware?

• saskwoch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Mar 2013 13:33 #4 by saskwoch
Replied by saskwoch on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
Thanks Voodle, yes it happens for all wifi devices at once and a switch off & on again fixes it.

Thanks babis3g, I'll try the power cycle you describe. The power supply and what shares it hasn't changed in years but I'll take a look at it.

I don't have the firmware version to hand but I'll look into doing a update. Something has put me off doing updates in the past, I guess the risk of stopping it working or something.

As an aside I need two wifi bridges for ethernet devices and I was thinking I couldn't do better than purchase DrayTek AP800 even though they are several times the price of budget brands. No so sure now. My Actiontec wifi ADSL router from 2003 still works.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
22 Mar 2013 03:21 #5 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
Should show at system status the current firmware (immediately when you log in - System Status)
It maybe issue with current firmware as well but overcareful if you will update to latest should read this first

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not upgrade directly from 3.3.5 (and earlier) to 3.3.7.3.
Due to differences in the Web UI and functionality the router MUST first be
upgraded to 3.3.5.2 prior to upgrading to 3.3.7.3.

Upgrade your router to Version 3.3.5.2 first, and afterward upgrade the router
to Version 3.3.7.3.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads.html

• adw
  • User
  • User
More
28 Mar 2013 17:37 #6 by adw
Replied by adw on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
I'm having exactly the same problem with two Draytek Vigors on different client sites, a 2910VG and a 2850n, both of which have the latest UK firmware. The 2850n is just over a year old, and drops the WiFi connection about once every 3-4 weeks. The 2910VG is about 3 years old and it drops the WiFi connection 2-3 times a week. In both cases, logging into the router and rebooting solves the problem , until it drops again, but I've also noticed that sometimes it is necessary to re-enter the wireless PSK as well as rebooting, but not always. Both routers are set to Mixed(WPA+WPA2)/PSK mode, but I haven't tried any other mode to see if it solves the problem.

Any thoughts anyone?

ADW