• saskwoch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Mar 2013 09:50 #7 by saskwoch
Replied by saskwoch on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
@babis3g - thanks again.

As luck would have it the problem hasn't manifested itself since my last post but I've gone ahead this morning and performed the two-stage firmware update to 3.3.5.2 and then 3.3.7.3.

I got an unpleasant surprise when after the first update I lost my internet connection. Fortunately I had access to a MiFi and found that the Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI) needed to be set to 38 (in the case of my ISP) whereas it was showing 0. I should have noted what the settings were before the update, but all other settings were remembered correctly (I used the .all firmware update), so that is a bit of a puzzle.

@adw - unfortunately I can see no explanation. For a remote site I would only suggest using some sort of electrical timer to force a reboot once a day or so overnight and see if that helps as a workaround. Your note does remind me that when mine was less than a year old I found that the wifi password had 'disappeared' and my wifi was completely open. I surmised it was to do with a power cut some days before. The password disappearing has only happened once in nearly four years whereas I've had a few power cuts in that time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cattlerustler
  • User
  • User
More
02 Apr 2013 10:45 #8 by cattlerustler
Replied by cattlerustler on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
Sadly I have to report the same issues with my 2850N mine is frequently dropping the wifi service. sometime once a week sometimes more frequently.
I have found un checking the wifi clicking ok leave for 30 seconds and then turn back on fixes it. This is not convienent in my house as it runs half the wifi in the house and my partner does not know how to turn it off and back on let alone login and reset the wifi part.
I have tried just about every setting to find a resolution to the issue but none has worked, I have joined this forum hoping to find a fix, it looks more likely I am going to have to contact Draytek directly as it is not a common issue.

More
23 May 2013 08:31 #9 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
Hi cartlerustler,

Did you get anywhere? I have a 2850n and have just started experiencing the same problems as you!.

iain

Iain

• cattlerustler
  • User
  • User
More
23 May 2013 08:36 #10 by cattlerustler
Replied by cattlerustler on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
Sadly no, the frequency of it dropping out has gone down but not gone away :(

More
24 May 2013 10:01 #11 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
Shame!

However, my problems seem to have started since I switched on multiple SSIDs.

I currently use three SSIDs:

SSID1 unlimited bandwidth, WPA2 security and MAC white list,
SSID2 severly bandwidth throttled for visitors no MAC checking, WPA2 security
SSID3 bandwidth throttled but just enough to stream one video stream at a time, Mac white list and WPA2 security

You can probably see where i'm going with this - does it have something to do with Multiple SSID and can't cope - hence it drops some connections

Also, I've looked at the signal strength - what's curious is that each SSID has a different signal strength - not by much, but noticeable.

Iain

Iain

• saskwoch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jun 2013 17:12 #12 by saskwoch
Replied by saskwoch on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
Just to say I've not had a drop out since the problem peaked back in March.

Having said that, I coincidently enabled a schedule that turns off the WiFi at 22:30 each night (to enforce a curfew on a certain member of the household) and switches on again at 01:00. Perhaps that is enough to make the WiFi reliable.

I'd performed the firmware upgrade as noted earlier, but given the 2820Vn had worked fine for years beforehand and then developed the problem, with increasing frequency, I don't see why the firmware upgrade would make a difference.