Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n wifi drops out

• adw
  • User
  • User
More
27 Aug 2013 01:36 #13 by adw
Replied by adw on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
This may be an age related problem as another 2850n I have in service at a customer has been exhibiting the same behaviour for the past couple of weeks after working fine for over a year. Like the other 2850n I mentioned in my previous post that was having this problem, I worked around it by scheduling a reboot of the router every morning at 05:00. About 10 years ago I had a large number of Fujitsu IDE hard drives fail at 2 or so years old due to age related degeneration of one of the logic chips on the circuit board. This was traced back to a flaw in the IC manufacturing process, so maybe this WiFi issue is being caused by something similar.

ADW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2013 11:30 #14 by raqman
Replied by raqman on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
I can confirm this is the case with the 2820's

I have 4 IP camers in my house and they constantly dropped out, I tried all the trouble shooting possible, then remebered I had a Develo Homeplug with Wireless that then connects to the Draytek, so I set my cameras to wireless connect to that and never had a problem.

So a £50 Develo has a better Wireless system than a £200 Draytek?????

I have been a faithful Draytek client for years, the 2800, 2900, vigortalks (which are being changed to the Cisco Papt's as the vigortalks died), so this is a real shame and is loosing me as a client.

More
02 Apr 2014 11:26 #15 by rp8049
Replied by rp8049 on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
I'm having some big issues with wifi on my 2820vn. It's been rock solid for a long time but in the last few weeks I've had devices losing connection and then saying that they can't reach the access point when I try to connect. Only rebooting the router will solve the issue.

Have been running on the latest firmware (3.3.7.3) for over a year without any issues but also recently found that my phone & surface tablet couldn't find my xbox one on the network to connect via smart glass which they had been previously able to do. Could connect ok to stream dlna content to the xbox though so not sure if it is a router or console related issue.

After all the problems I downgraded back to 3.3.5.2 which I was running before upgrading to 3.3.7.3 at the back end of 2012. Initially seemed ok, and can now see the xbox one via the smartglass apps on the network, but wifi has started dropping again.

It's really frustrating as I've had drayteks for a long time now and they're normally rock solid so I'm hoping that this can be sorted. Given it's been over a year since the last firmware release, are there any more in the pipeline do we know or is the 2820 now too old?

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
02 Apr 2014 13:02 #16 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2820n wifi drops out
If you have the unit many years working 24/7 try another PSU with the same Volt, if ambers are little higher is ok but not lower than the original