DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP910c now isolating between Bands

More
21 Aug 2017 15:33 #1 by g6ifs
AP910c now isolating between Bands was created by g6ifs
Just a quick warning that, for some reason, in the latest version 1.2.1 they have isolated 2.4G from 5G to enhance security.
There is no warning on the release notes from the .co.uk site but on the .com site you get the following if you scroll to the bottom -

Notes
 To enhance the security among wireless clients, the SSIDs on the different bands (2.4GHz
/ 5GHz) will be isolated. That is, wireless clients with different bands can not
communicate with each others even they are on the same subnet.

END OF QUOTE

SO if you have a printer on 2.4G only and, say, a laptop on 5G then hard luck, you are not printing as it can't be seen!
I've just spent several hours trying to work out why I couldn't print. As soon as I backed off to 1.2.0.1 it is fine.
I just hope the next firmware release includes a switch for this change otherwise I'll have to reconsider my options as I live in a street where 2.4G is everywhere and very congested, while 5G is quiet and I set all my devices I can to 5G only.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2017 11:06 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: AP910c now isolating between Bands
Do many people need to communicate between SSIDs? But anyway, yes, it's a change that may matter to some but I think they are going to make it a selectable setting in the next f/w. The introduced it for security reasons as apparently many people didn't appreciate the bands were common and were mixing public/private data.

Forum Administrator

More
05 Sep 2017 15:05 #3 by geroi
Replied by geroi on topic Re: AP910c now isolating between Bands
FFS I've been fighting with few devices in the workshop for the last blooming week and only now I've stumbled across this thread.

I can confirm as well - isolation between 2.4 and 5G should be communicated in CAPITALS and also a switch should be implemented offering to disable this.

More
07 Sep 2017 14:33 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: AP910c now isolating between Bands
they are making this selectable in next f/w.

Forum Administrator

More
07 Sep 2017 16:40 #5 by geroi

admin wrote: they are making this selectable in next f/w.

brilliant, thanks for update

More
05 Oct 2017 12:16 #6 by geroi

admin wrote: they are making this selectable in next f/w.

I can see that draytek.com s showing 1.2.3 for 910C since 19/09 - but not the UK website. Are you asleep there or what ?

Code:
Corrected: When 2.4G and 5G SSIDs had the same name, 2.4G clients and 5G clients could not reach each other.

then this below ....

Code:
To enhance the security among wireless clients, the SSIDs on the different bands (2.4GHz / 5GHz) will be isolated. That is, wireless clients with different bands can not communicate with each others even they are on the same subnet.

Confused.com ? Is this fixed or not ?
http://www.draytek.com.tw/ftp/VigorAP%20910C/Firmware/v1.2.3/DrayTek_VigorAP%20910C_V1.2.3_release-note.pdf