DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Wireless performance 2830 vs 2862

• craigski
  • Topic Author
More
07 Mar 2018 14:13 #1 by craigski
Wireless performance 2830 vs 2862 was created by craigski
We have just replaced a 2830 DB v1 with a brand new 2862ac.

2862ac has been installed in exact same location, it is mounted on a wall, using same screws the 2830 was mounted.

2862ac is configured using exact same channels as 2830.

We have noticed the wireless performance is very poor on the 2862ac vs 2830 it replaced.

Is anyone else seeing same?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lightpathit
  • User
  • User
More
06 May 2018 19:18 #2 by lightpathit
Replied by lightpathit on topic Re: Wireless performance 2830 vs 2862
I have experienced similar issues. I had a 2860n and switched it to a 2862ac. As with yours, it is in the same location and I imported a configuration backup from the 2860 so all settings were the same. My iPhone keeps dropping from the 5G networks and the 2.4G is really slow. My laptop can't even connect to 5G any more, and the 2.4G is slow, similar to my phone. I've tried changing channels and other settings, but I had spent ages setting everything up on the 2860 and know they were the best settings.

I'm not sure if the imported config is the issue. I have another 2862 coming soon and will be able to test if it is the unit, the config, or the model itself.

Did you ever manage to resolve or improve your issues in any way?

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
06 May 2018 21:29 #3 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: Wireless performance 2830 vs 2862
There seems to be a trend here. 2860's with the latest firmware, 2862's with the latest firmware, all giving random wireless results 5g not working, 2.4g not working, asking for the password etc etc I am of the opinion that there is a firmware issue and Draytek need to sort this ASAP.

See my thread... https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22228

• manicguitarist
  • User
  • User
More
08 May 2018 08:44 #4 by manicguitarist
Replied by manicguitarist on topic Re: Wireless performance 2830 vs 2862
I concur. I have a 2926ac and the 5GHz performance is dreadful and if it I use the same SSIDs as my AP900 I get asked for passwords and repeated drop outs. Currently put router on different SSID until they fix this.

• lightpathit
  • User
  • User
More
10 May 2018 14:41 #5 by lightpathit
I agree. I just hope it is not a fundamental issue and that all 2862ac will forever be known as lemmings to avoid. I am strongly considering returning them as "not fit for purpose" to ensure I am not stuck with them.

The second router that I have was also due to be used on a Virgin Media connection, but we are also having issues with that working too. Someone else has posted about that here: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22224&p=91423&hilit=virgin#p91423 and the symptoms are just the same.

In an update to my previous post, I have my second 2862 here and factory reset the unit. I tried to connect to the 5g network from 5m away with direct line of sight, but it failed. I am getting similar network speeds on the 2.4ghz network as my current router too. macximum, i did see your other post and yes, tried any suggestions in it, but with no improvement. We supply loads of these units too and in general find them excellent, both in function and value. I would not be pleased if we had to find or use an alternative. I m also confused why there is not an updated firmware 3 months after that last release with so many fundamental issues.

• lightpathit
  • User
  • User
More
11 May 2018 12:13 #6 by lightpathit
A further update, I had the opportunity to test some ANT-1207 high gain aerials on the router, however they made no difference whatsoever.