Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Wireless performance 2830 vs 2862

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
12 May 2018 17:39 #7 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: Wireless performance 2830 vs 2862
Thanks for the update lightpathit - I'm guessing we will have to wait patiently; I am checking firmware pages both UK and US almost daily!

It's not on really, these are supposed to be premium routers (they are certainly priced as such) and no update from DrayTek technical on this either, at least a post here would help to put our minds at ease.

I heard mention somewhere on here that someone was trialling 3.8.9 beta firmware but that was a while ago!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lightpathit
  • User
  • User
More
12 May 2018 19:00 #8 by lightpathit
Replied by lightpathit on topic Re: Wireless performance 2830 vs 2862
It's definitely not on. I sent a message to support on Tuesday, but am still waiting to hear back. I'll obviously update with any response if I do hear anything.

I'm doing much the same as you, but with the FTP site. Fingers crossed we won't be waiting much longer!

• manicguitarist
  • User
  • User
More
13 May 2018 18:59 #9 by manicguitarist
Replied by manicguitarist on topic Re: Wireless performance 2830 vs 2862
Adding to this - using SpeedTest.net on my iPhone I get:

AP900
5Ghz: 170Mbps down / 18Up
2Ghz: 40Mbps down/ 18 Up

2926:
5Ghz: 5Mbps down / 18Up - and that is if it connects at all
2Ghz: 40Mbps down/ 18 Up

More
16 May 2018 10:31 #10 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Wireless performance 2830 vs 2862
It's not just the routers - I have AP902s and with iPad pro and iPad mini connecting on 5GHz (from about 6 feet away) I get about a tenth or less of the download speed I get with them connecting on 2.4GHz (250K !!- 2.5M vs. 24M). Bizarrely, the upload speed is not so severely affected. I have turned off 5GHz on all my Draytek devices (2862ac, 2xAP902 and 1xAP900) until this issue is resolved or I buy a different make altogether.

More
16 May 2018 17:39 #11 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Wireless performance 2830 vs 2862
The speeds that you're seeing are definitely very low, it's suprising that you're seeing these problems more on 5GHz, which I would typically expect to be the less congested frequency range.
Just going from the original post, the Vigor 2862's wireless interfaces are capable of much higher speeds than the Vigor 2830 and were tested to perform up to their specifications.

It's possible that specific combinations of wireless client devices and specific network layouts could be contributing to these issues, which do need to be looked into.

If anyone is seeing such low speeds, please contact the support team for assistance with troubleshooting.

Forum Administrator

• lightpathit
  • User
  • User
More
16 May 2018 18:34 #12 by lightpathit
Replied by lightpathit on topic Re: Wireless performance 2830 vs 2862
Hi Admin3,

I'm more than happy to help identify the issue. I did contact support and after 5 days they contacted me and told me to look at a webpage on how to setup a wireless network. They said if I needed any further help to let them know when to call, which I did, but we are now three days later and I've not heard from them.

My laptops are both Intel wireless and I have updated to the latest drivers to try to eliminate that as an issue. The 5G will not connect. I've connect my iPhone to it and removed any other wireless profiles and it disconnects an I am left connected to my mobile network. I've pout an AP-902 in the same position and it works flawlessly. Obviously it is a different device, but I've chosen the same settings where possible. I've also put a 2860 back there for testing and it works fine.

I'd welcome any recommendations in regards to either being able to speak to someone in support, or that might help address any network issues you think might be affect it.