DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Optimum setup with 2862ac & two AP910c ???

More
12 Apr 2018 14:36 #7 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Optimum setup with 2862ac & two AP910c ???
I have just implemented the RADIUS server as outlined in that helpful video referenced above. Seems to be working OK (although persuading a Windows Surface Pro to log on was a bit convoluted :shock: ). The video does omit what you have to do on the router settings but I got there in the end.

I don't use 802.1x for my IOT devices SSID though, as many of them have no facility to join.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2018 18:08 #8 by bennyh
Laptops adaptors have an option (usually) to set the aggressiveness of the roaming, if you set it to high, it will jump to the stronger signal quicker, but WiFi can be affected by many things so you may end up getting moved from one AP to another even if you're static. `

But leaving it as is (AP mode, no Radius or roaming features enabled ), with the same SSID and passwords, your devices should automatically move from an AP to AP, depending on the signal strength, and for home, I doubt you have a need for the smoothest roaming, unless you're using VoIP wireless phones. More features enabled means more thinks likely to go wrong, but I think you should wipe your wireless setup, then clear your cookies/saved passwords on your browser, then re-setup your WiFi networks.

You could use the built in AP management to push out the Wireless profiles to both AP's, but if you still get disconnected devices, perhaps you go back to factory defaults.

• macximum
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Apr 2018 14:00 #9 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: Optimum setup with 2862ac & two AP910c ???
Revisited a few Draytek installed sites recently and the majority have 2860ac's running 3.8.5_BT firmware with a mixture of Draytek APs... 902, 910c etc etc
Some of the APs have up to date firmware, some don't... so a good mixture. All have solid performance and devices roam seamlessly.

Two sites in particular who have updated their router firmware are experiencing the ' incorrect password' wireless issue when moving in the vicinity of the router.

I am now convinced that more recent Draytek router firmware for the 2860ac and 2862ac carries a bug or a difference in configuration that does not agree with Draytek APs that reside on the same network and are broadcasting the same SSID (different channels of course).

On my own network as described above, I am currently running flawlessly since I have disabled the Wi-Fi completely on the router, which of course is not the most ideal situation.

Come on Draytek, sort it out!

More
23 Apr 2018 16:34 #10 by firkin13
Replied by firkin13 on topic Re: Optimum setup with 2862ac & two AP910c ???
I had similar issues. However I have changed a number of options and everything is a lot better now... Similar to your setup, I've got a 2860ac and a couple of 902's.

For a start I reduced the TX power output on all the devices, that seemed to make the handover around the house better. I also fixed the 5GHz channels.

I seemed to get more issues ('wrong password' and invalid IP addresses) when the phones switched between 2.4 and 5. So I created two specific SSID's (replicated between devices) so that my static devices (Echos, FIretvs etc) connected to the 2.4GHz, whilst the iPhones connect to the 5GHz.

Like you, I've chased this issue for a long time, and I was getting ready to swap out the entire Draytek kit, but I've had less complaints from the family recently.

• lapyiwin
  • User
  • User
More
21 May 2018 20:28 #11 by lapyiwin
Replied by lapyiwin on topic Re: Optimum setup with 2862ac & two AP910c ???
I have just read this thread. Just bought 2862Ac running latest firmware 3.8.8.2_BT and having exact same issues where client having real difficulty connecting to 2G/5G wifi throwing error "wrong incorrect password" even when I stand next to it. I know for a fact, it is definitely entered right password. Sometimes WiFi names would simply disappear off the list for no reason and would not re-connect. I saw some of you disabled the WiFi but it is not acceptable for router this expensive.

Anybody got any idea about permanent fix? I raised support ticket with Draytek. Not sure how long it would take. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

• macximum
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 May 2018 20:56 #12 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: Optimum setup with 2862ac & two AP910c ???
lapywin - if there's a fix or suggestion I'll be sure to post it back here.
So far nothing from Draytek so if you hear anything before any of us do, please be sure to post it back here.

I am also now on 3.8.8.2_BT but haven't bothered testing/re-enabling the wi-fi again as that's not what this latest firmware was issued to address.

You are exactly right, this is not acceptable for a router of this cost/supposed calibre and from a company with a reputation such as Draytek's!