• olly66
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
27 Jun 2018 20:28 #1 by olly66
Ap900 ipad 5g connection problem was created by olly66
Hi,

I am using an AP900 with the latest firmware and my pc and android phone all connect fine over 5g but not my iPad air2 it just says bad password. Driving me spare. Any Ideas?

TIA

Olly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2018 21:23 #2 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: Ap900 ipad 5g connection problem
A couple of ideas... If the setting exists (I don't use the AP900) Leave EAPOL key retries enabled (ie. to not turn on the disable setting).
Try different channel aggregation widths (20/40/80).

If yo are on iOS 11.4, there MIGHT be issues with it - there is some disquiet in the Apple communities. There may also be sever power management issues in iOS 11.4, which some people attribute to 5GHz wi-fi. (however I think they are misreading the situation). iOS 11.4.1 is hopefully not far away (no-one outside Apple knows for sure, but my money is on tomorrow or Friday!)

If you are desperate enough, use the Apple "Reset Network Settings" function. (Personally I hate those kind of 'dumbed down' fixes, bit it'a all we have to work with)

This Article describes Apple's recommended settings
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

More
22 Jul 2018 12:08 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Ap900 ipad 5g connection problem
On my AP902 I seem to have narrowed this problem down to the use of 802.1x for my main SSID - iPads will connect fine to my WPA2 Guest network on 5GHz from the AP902 but will not connect to the 802.1x network. The iPads say "wrong password", even though it's the same password as on the 2.4GHz band to which they connect without problem. My Surface Pro 4 just says "Cannot connect to this network" so it's not just Apple devices. All of these devices happily connect to my router on 5GHz (this is also the radius server for the 802.1x network).

I lodged a ticket with support. Having gone through their standard "how to fix wifi networks" response with no improvement they have since gone quiet.

• olly66
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
22 Jul 2018 16:14 #4 by olly66
Replied by olly66 on topic Re: Ap900 ipad 5g connection problem
Well thanks to you both.

More
24 Jul 2018 09:08 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Ap900 ipad 5g connection problem
Well well, support suggested I turn the EAPOL key retry setting to "Disabled" for the 5GHz 802.1x SSID - so I did, and immediately my Apple devices and Surface Pro 4 immediately connected to the AP902 on 5GHz :D

They were already connecting to the router on 5GHz and changing that setting on the router made no difference.

So my problem appears to have been solved by that simple setting.

More
24 Jul 2018 12:53 #6 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: Ap900 ipad 5g connection problem
Just to clarify the change that you made for others reading this (and additionaly for me to correlate your observations with my own)

The EAPOL setting on screen, if turned on, DISABLES EAPOL key retry.

Did you turn off the option on screen(reverting to the default setting), thereby leaving EAPOL key retry functionality enabled?