Draytek AP903 Central Management

• foggy69
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 May 2020 11:21 #1 by foggy69
Draytek AP903 Central Management was created by foggy69
I have just purchased a AP903 to use as an Access Point. It is connected to my 2926ac router directly from P1 port
With the default settings in the AP903, I can use the 2926 'Central Management' UI to setup WLAN profiles and view traffic graphs and totals. It will run like this with no problems.
As soon as I change the default password on the AP903, also changing the password on the 2926 in the 'Central Management - External Devices Connected - Account' and checking the password in the 'Central Management - AP - Status - Password', they will not communicate.
The APM log on the AP903 shows a steady stream of

syslog: [APM][C] Send register to root

The Event Log on the AP page of the 2926 shows a steady stream of

[APM] [VigorAP903_xxxxxx] Query Status failed (the xxxxxx is the last 6 digits of the MAC address of the AP903)

A P1092 switch is connected to the 2926 as well and the 'Central Management' works as advertised, even when the password on the switch was changed.

The problem has occurred with the 2926 is running 3.9.3.1 and 3.9.3 firmware and the AP903 running 1.3.5 and 1.3.6 firmware

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2020 16:07 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Draytek AP903 Central Management
Not answering your query I'm afraid but if you only have 1 AP903 is it worth bothering with central management? Interestingly (or not, depending on your POV) in my mesh system with 4x AP903 the only one that appears in the central management page is the mesh root (not that I use the CM feature as I want different settings on various APs). One can of course push some settings from the root to the nodes.

• foggy69
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 May 2020 17:39 #3 by foggy69
Replied by foggy69 on topic Re: Draytek AP903 Central Management
It is just a niggle for me, but it is advertised so I was hoping it would work.
I am hoping it is just a stupid little thing that I have missed. Because if it isn't, if you have a number of access points and the only way you can use Central Management is to not change the default password on your AP, it seems to leave a rather large security hole in your infrastructure.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
02 May 2020 17:41 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Draytek AP903 Central Management

foggy69 wrote:
As soon as I change the default password on the AP903, also changing the password on the 2926 in the 'Central Management - External Devices Connected - Account' and checking the password in the 'Central Management - AP - Status - Password', they will not communicate.

Is this a confusion between the AP903's "Administration Password" (as used by the GUI/Web interface) and the ACS and CPE passwords (not sure of the difference!), set on the "System Maintenance >> TR-069" page) ?

More
02 May 2020 18:07 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Draytek AP903 Central Management
I would also add that I have used CM in the past (with a 2862 iirc) and it worked fine with changed admin passwords. That would be several firmwares ago of course....
I've never used the TR-069 feature (not even sure what it is!)

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
02 May 2020 18:35 #6 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Draytek AP903 Central Management

Piste Basher wrote:
I've never used the TR-069 feature (not even sure what it is!)

I assume it's the underlying mechanism behind the Central Management stuff. Talk about the "blind leading the blind" ... :D