• foggy69
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 May 2020 21:14 #7 by foggy69
Replied by foggy69 on topic Re: Draytek AP903 Central Management

hornbyp wrote:
Is this a confusion between the AP903's "Administration Password" (as used by the GUI/Web interface) and the ACS and CPE passwords (not sure of the difference!), set on the "System Maintenance >> TR-069" page) ?

I have tried using the 'User' and 'Administrator' password settings, without success. I have never touched any settings in the TR-069 page as I don't understand them and I didn't think they had any relevance.

hornbyp wrote:

Piste Basher wrote:
I've never used the TR-069 feature (not even sure what it is!)

I assume it's the underlying mechanism behind the Central Management stuff. Talk about the "blind leading the blind" ... :D

And I thought this was a help forum :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
03 May 2020 02:55 #8 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Draytek AP903 Central Management

foggy69 wrote:
I have never touched any settings in the TR-069 page as I don't understand them and I didn't think they had any relevance.

OK - you are probably right :D

I knew I'd set some TR-069 username/password parameters at some point in the past ... it turns out that these are used for central management by the likes of VigorACS or VigorConnect (twas the latter, in my case). (Still fairly clueless about the CPE Username/password though...).

I found three Draytek documents that might be useful.

The first one gives a clue in the Security section. It says

Draytek wrote:
It is important to note that the credentials used by the VigorAP are replaced with the credentials set in a WLAN Profile, which when applied to a VigorAP automatically updates the router with those details so that the router retains access to the VigorAP.

So, is your AP903's password being automatically reset, by the auto-provisioning mechanism? (to the previous password, that was in the WLAN profile). :?:

If this is the case, you would expect the AP903's status to change to "unathorized" in the 2926's Central AP Management list...

It is - sort of - implied, that you shouldn't change anything directly on the AP903 - including its password, if you are provisioning it remotely...

Personally, I'm not impressed by any of this remote management stuff...

I have VigorConnect running, which can see my AP903,AP802,Vigor 2860 & remote Vigor 2830. The Vigor 2860 can see the AP903 and the AP802. The AP903 can see the AP802 as part of its mesh setup. None of them can fully manage the clients they can see. To a greater or lesser degree, they can only manipulate a subset of the parameters. In some cases, only a tiny subset of the parameters :cry:

I just logon to the device in question and change it directly :roll:

More
03 May 2020 09:31 #9 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Draytek AP903 Central Management
As I noted above, in the Central Management section of my 2926ac the only AP which appears is the mesh root. However other "features" under that section, such as traffic graph and station number, don't appear to do anything - they show no traffic and no stations connected! The event log is mostly "Query status failed".

• reedav
  • User
  • User
More
03 May 2020 09:49 #10 by reedav
Replied by reedav on topic Re: Draytek AP903 Central Management
To get this to work you also have to change the password from the default password in the central management part on the router, AP-> WLAN Profile -> Profile 1, Default and then change the admin password in there too.

Under profile 1 enter your WiFi details and click ok and then click on to ap, add the profile into the right hand box and then ok.

Everything should sync up and CM should then work.

• foggy69
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 May 2020 09:59 #11 by foggy69
Replied by foggy69 on topic Re: Draytek AP903 Central Management
I have a result, and it was a simple one. Thank you hornbyp for pointing me in the right direction.

After reading all the information again and more head scratching, I noticed in the 'WLAN Profile - WLAN Profile Edit' page it said in the Administrator and Password boxes in very very very very faint writing 'Max: 16 characters'. My password had been 20 characters long for the AP903.
This solved the riddle as to why during my fault finding I could not log into the AP903 after sending the WLAN Profile, because it was only sending the first 16 characters.

Piste Basher wrote:
As I noted above, in the Central Management section of my 2926ac the only AP which appears is the mesh root. However other "features" under that section, such as traffic graph and station number, don't appear to do anything - they show no traffic and no stations connected! The event log is mostly "Query status failed".

Also, the UI on the 2926 was not particularly helpful in the fault finding because the Status of the AP903 always showed green, but it just displayed the information from the last known connection. It never showed 'unauthorised', even if you clicked 'Refresh'.

As you said hornbyp, the WLAN Profile setting does set the Administrator password on the AP903, so you do not need to change the password again on the AP903, and it also sets the passwords in the 'Central Management - AP Status and External Devices' pages.

More
03 May 2020 11:08 #12 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Draytek AP903 Central Management
Out of interest, I assume that you are seeing a setting for "5GHz-2" in the WLAN profile, in addition to 5GHz. I can't see mention of this in the manual. In the APs themselves there does not appear to be a "5GHz-2" setting. What do you think it means?