AP 903 Range Extender Mode - Network Issues

• ray jade
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jun 2020 09:25 #13 by ray jade

different SSIDs for the AP and the router

I think this was not a set up per se but a comment on the default behaviour of the AP903 after factory set up and use of the Wizard without attempting reassigning SSID's or doing anything of the sort.

I hear what you say; I understand as a user that it is desirable to have a single SSID but I didn't or don't know if that is OK. My limited prior experience is an ISP's range extender than definitely wants separate SSID's to the router. Hence the attraction of mesh... basically I want to emulate at home some of the enterprise infrastructure we have at work as my home users assure my that Xbox, Netflix etc are absolutely mission critical to their lives...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ray jade
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jun 2020 09:41 #14 by ray jade

Using SYSLOG, have a look for any entries containing the phrase "RADAR" ...

I've now got the syslog working - I seem to have had the AP903 enabled for syslog to server without a server specified.

Would I see any reference to RADAR on the 2862ac's syslog (which is saved to USB)? I don't think there are significant RADAR transmitters locally excepting the microwave in the kitchen; that said I'm near two significant military sites that are said to be receivng stations... but who knows? Thanks for the tip.

Can the AP903's syslog be saved to 2862ac's USB - seems that the AP903's USB is only for thermometer?

Status: 2862ac root and AP903 working OK overnight. I changed the SSID of the router last night to separate 2.4 and 5 GHz to allow me to force some devices (a TV) to use the band that actually works for it. May not the the best technical solution but pragmatically it works. Since this was a change to the 5GHz channel used to the root - node link, I wonder what would happen. After a couple of minutes thought, the AP903 came back online and seems fine and broadcasting the separate SSID's.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jun 2020 14:33 #15 by hornbyp

Ray Jade wrote:
Would I see any reference to RADAR on the 2862ac's syslog (which is saved to USB)? Can the AP903's syslog be saved to 2862ac's USB - seems that the AP903's USB is only for thermometer? I don't think there are significant RADAR transmitters locally

I've only ever used Syslog running on a PC - the other methods just seem awkward in comparison. (Just a matter of downloading , installing, running - then typing the PC's IP address into the Draytek)

and he wrote:
My limited prior experience is an ISP's range extender than definitely wants separate SSID's to the router.

I've encountered some Universal Range Extenders that insist on the same SSID/Channel - and some that insist on different :roll: Universal my foot! :D