Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP 903 Range Extender Mode - Network Issues

• ray jade
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jun 2020 16:58 #7 by ray jade

Why do you say "of course" multiple SSID's with the AP in AP mode?

May be I was ambiguous - different SSID to the router and I either set up or it defaults to separate SSID for 2.4 Ghz and 5GHz. Again, out of my depth knowing what should or should not work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jun 2020 18:50 #8 by hornbyp

Ray Jade wrote:
Again, out of my depth knowing what should or should not work.

Nonsense - you're now the forum's leading expert on using the 2862 as a Mesh Root :D ... since lots of other folk seem to have failed miserably, in their attempts to do so!

• ray jade
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jun 2020 19:17 #9 by ray jade

Nonsense - you're now the forum's leading expert on using the 2862 as a Mesh Root

That fills me with no confidence... especially as after 24 hours the node has dropped offline and won't come back. :cry: I said it was early days.

I did get it back for a bit by unmeshing the router and starting again from factory reset with the AP903. I feel a new thread coming on...

• ray jade
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jun 2020 19:23 #10 by ray jade
Further to my last a minute or so ago, its back.

For what its worth, I was suspicious of 5GHz authentication - 5GHz used for backhaul and the AP903 couldn't be pinged. Changed the router 5GHz passphrase by one character, saved and then put back to what it was; rebooted the AP903 and the mesh status went to online. Let's see for how long....

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jun 2020 00:37 #11 by hornbyp

Ray Jade wrote:
For what its worth, I was suspicious of 5GHz authentication - 5GHz used for backhaul and the AP903 couldn't be pinged.....

Using SYSLOG, have a look for any entries containing the phrase "RADAR" ...

My initial attempts to get AP903/AP802 Meshing to work, were dogged by a NATS Radar 10 miles away, that I didn't know about. They kept hearing it on 5GHz and then went into 'listening' mode for 10 mins, during which time the Mesh was down. There was absolutely no indication this was happening within the Web interface of either unit - they just seemed broken. 10 Minutes was long enough for me to fire up the Android app and reset the pair of them - at which point, they were working again. It took me a long time to figure out that it was the passage of ten minutes, not the resetting, that was fixing the situation :cry:

(In my case, it was very sporadic - there is a hill between me and the Radar installation)

https://www.google.com/search?&q=5GHz+channels+used+by+Radar+UK

More
10 Jun 2020 08:42 #12 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: AP 903 Range Extender Mode - Network Issues
I'm still puzzled by why you would have different SSIDs for the AP and the router - in Mesh mode it would be normal to have them the same and in AP mode it would seem to be desirable if you wanted to take advantage of the roaming and band steering features.

Sounds like I had a lucky escape when my 2926 wouldn't "see" any AP903 nodes in mesh mode :lol: Leaving the router out of it altogether and using 4 x AP903 works fine....