Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP902 Rebooting - Web Interface

• oviano
  • User
  • User
More
17 Sep 2020 14:18 #19 by oviano
Replied by oviano on topic Re: AP902 Rebooting - Web Interface
So the response I got was to factory reset the unit and test again.

So I factory reset all 5 that I own, went through and set the minimum settings/changes needed to be able to use them (SSID, password, channels) left them alone for a few hours, then randomly tried to access the web interface on one of them and boom, crashed and spent several minutes lights flashing and eventually rebooting.

I wonder if I'll just install earlier firmware?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dgarratt
  • Topic Author
More
17 Sep 2020 14:23 #20 by dgarratt
Replied by dgarratt on topic Re: AP902 Rebooting - Web Interface
Thats exactly what I did with the same result. I even shared my screen so that Draytek could witness the problem - but as they could not replicate it in their office they were not able to do anything to correct it. In my experience the earlier firmware was not a fix - albeit the amount of free memory went up due to the smaller size of the programs and this may have lengthened the time between reboots.

Good luck

Dave

• oviano
  • User
  • User
More
17 Sep 2020 16:28 #21 by oviano
Hmm. It's quite annoying.

I also see other issues but I'm not too sure if they are related or caused by something else. For example, I find the APs very unreliable in 5Ghz mode when I widen the channels beyond 20Mhz. The signal seems weaker in Auto/20/40, and in Auto/20/40/80 mode while the signal is stronger, the performance is really patchy. So right now, I have them set to 20Mhz, which is reliable (apart from the web interface reboot issue) but hardly pushing the tech to the max!

I've checked all the nearby channels, neighbours etc, and can't get fast performance from these APs even when there are no channels conflicting nearby.

I was beginning to think it was caused by something about the layout/structure of the room(s) (though there is nothing at all unusual, it's a regular house!) but then I just had G.Network 1gbs fibre installed, and the Nokia router they supplied which came preset to use 80mz in 5Ghz mode was very fast indeed.

So this makes me wonder if these AP902s, at least with this firmware, are just really quite broken?

If I could be sure the AP903s would solve all of this and work reliably maybe I'd bite the bullet and upgrade, but I'd feel pretty stupid to do that and then find things aren't much better with the 903s.....

So then I'm wondering about non-Draytek alternatives for the WiFi aspect. Ubiquiti attracts, but not sure I buy into the whole cloud aspect, need for controller etc. I kind of like the way the DrayTek ones work. I don't want a simplified system like Eero, or other meshes, I want the extra control and configuration options that these DrayTeks provide, if only they would work properly!

Ok, that's quite a brain dump, time to stop.

• dgarratt
  • Topic Author
More
17 Sep 2020 16:55 #22 by dgarratt
I went through the exact same deliberation. Given they could not find the problem and the fact that I can only assume they would try and have a common code base across all their devices I eventually switched to Netgear EAX80's which have been rock solid and solved problems I was having with device discovery across AP's with Google Home devices.

So I have 3 x AP902's which are theoretically perfect from a hardware perspective - but I'm not using them until some fix comes out.

Dave

• oviano
  • User
  • User
More
17 Sep 2020 17:16 #23 by oviano
Thanks for the tip! I'll take a look at the Netgear ones.

What's the configuration options like on those, compared with the DrayTek? Is it all done through an app, or does it have a Web UI or both?

Oliver

• dgarratt
  • Topic Author
More
17 Sep 2020 17:34 #24 by dgarratt
Web UI Although there is an app. Very simple compared to DrayTek - but works for me.