Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

No channel 6 on AP910C

• colinjmair
  • User
  • User
More
08 Nov 2020 13:20 #13 by colinjmair
Replied by colinjmair on topic Re: No channel 6 on AP910C
What might be worth a try, depending on how easily it is and if you still have the power supply for one of the APs. Set one of the AP to Channel 6, take it to a completely different location, i.e. another home, ideally one with a lots less wifi equipment and power it up. If it then works ok on channel 6, you could use your phone app to check, the most likely cause of not using channel 6 at your location is interference on Channel 6.

This would at least show that there is nothing wrong with the AP itself.

regards

Colin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mmcdona6
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Nov 2020 13:24 #14 by mmcdona6
Replied by mmcdona6 on topic Re: No channel 6 on AP910C

colinjmair wrote:
What might be worth a try, depending on how easily it is and if you still have the power supply for one of the APs. Set one of the AP to Channel 6, take it to a completely different location, i.e. another home, ideally one with a lots less wifi equipment and power it up. If it then works ok on channel 6, you could use your phone app to check, the most likely cause of not using channel 6 at your location is interference on Channel 6.

This would at least show that there is nothing wrong with the AP itself.

regards

Colin

I have tried at least 3 of the access points at the house and none of them work on channel 6. Surely they can't all be broken!

• colinjmair
  • User
  • User
More
08 Nov 2020 15:16 #15 by colinjmair
Replied by colinjmair on topic Re: No channel 6 on AP910C
I would have thought that was very unlikely, so it is most likely that there is something in your environment that is stopping them all using channel 6.
Of course in the 2.4GHz band, the interference may not even be coming from something in your own house.

regards

Colin

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
08 Nov 2020 18:01 #16 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: No channel 6 on AP910C

mmcdona6 wrote:
Are you perhaps suggesting that something else in the house is blasting out a lot of interference on channel 6? What could that be, Bluetooth devices, Sonos?

You can add Zigbee (as used by some Room stats., radiator valves, smart bulbs etc) to that list.

Have you tried configuring Syslog :?:
If the AP910C is purposefully refusing to use Channel 6, that would be where it would give the reason. (With any luck!)

• mmcdona6
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Nov 2020 14:53 #17 by mmcdona6
Replied by mmcdona6 on topic Re: No channel 6 on AP910C

hornbyp wrote:

mmcdona6 wrote:
Are you perhaps suggesting that something else in the house is blasting out a lot of interference on channel 6? What could that be, Bluetooth devices, Sonos?

You can add Zigbee (as used by some Room stats., radiator valves, smart bulbs etc) to that list.

Have you tried configuring Syslog :?:
If the AP910C is purposefully refusing to use Channel 6, that would be where it would give the reason. (With any luck!)

The AP does not refuse to use channel 6. It states on the home page that it is using channel 6, but when I scan the wifi on my phone, I don't see anything on channel 6. I have been running syslog all along and no obvious errors are ever reported.