DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Mesh 2862 as root, AP903 as node, node not found?

• ruraldev
  • Topic Author
More
18 Nov 2020 18:38 #7 by ruraldev
I couldn't get it working at all on 2.4Ghz but after about 10 clicks on 5Ghz it worked!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ruraldev
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2020 17:53 #8 by ruraldev
I had to revert back and start again as 5Ghz won't reach where I need the AP903 to be located.

I simply can't get the node to show up as a mesh node on my Vigor2862

Anyone any ideas?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
27 Nov 2020 18:41 #9 by hornbyp
You don't have an ethernet lead connected do you? - apparently, they default to AP mode if one is detected at boot time.

• ruraldev
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2020 19:06 #10 by ruraldev
No ethernet connected and I've rebooted it more than 20 times as I try to get it to connect!

It's strange as 5Ghz seems to work fine but nothing at all on 2.4Ghz, just a pity that 5Ghz won't reach the location, I may need to think about running a cable or changing the antennas for one's with a higher gain.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
28 Nov 2020 00:54 #11 by hornbyp
I've read this thread though again and have a few thoughts...

The 2.4GHz and 5GHz "AP Discovery" scans seems to be different to the "Mesh Discovery" scan. Also, "Mesh Discovery" seems to be different to "Mesh Setup" >> "Add Mesh Node" >> "Search".

I think the "Mesh Discovery" scan does something to wake-up/alert Nodes, so that they are receptive to being discovered by the "Add Mesh Node" function. (You can also run "Mesh Discovery" on the node itself, which is maybe a way of broadcasting its existence to the Mesh Root).

I base the above, purely on the cryptic messages that result, logged via Syslog (where else :?: :wink: )

Is there any documentation anywhere, that says the AP903 can be a Mesh Node using 2.4GHz :?: The diagram in the manual has "5GHz" written all over it...

If that is correct - and you are out of range of 5GHz - you're going to need a wire - or an extra, intervening node...

More
28 Nov 2020 09:28 #12 by piste basher
They are restricted to 5GHz meshing - although as you say there are odd "hints" about being able to choose the mesh band.... :roll: