VLAN on AP903 LAN Port

• foggy69
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Feb 2021 10:43 #1 by foggy69
VLAN on AP903 LAN Port was created by foggy69
I have a Draytek 2926ac that has a VLAN configured. It has VLAN0 set as Subnet LAN1 and VLAN1 as LAN 2 with a Tag set.
I have 2 AP903, one is connected to the 2926 via network cable, and this is set as a Mesh Root. The other AP903 is connected to this as a Mesh Node.

I am not sure if I have missed something obvious, but how can I change the VLAN to VLAN1 on LAN2 for a device the is plugged into a LAN port on the AP903 that is configured as the Mesh Node. The 2926 will always give the device an IP address in VLAN0, even if you try to force an IP address for VLAN1 in 'Bind IP to MAC'.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2021 12:37 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: VLAN on AP903 LAN Port
Have you enabled "Bridge VLAN to Mesh" on the AP903s ?

• foggy69
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Feb 2021 07:43 #3 by foggy69
Replied by foggy69 on topic Re: VLAN on AP903 LAN Port
The 'Bridge VLAN to mesh' is enabled on both the 2.4 and 5GHz pages, and it has been sent to the Mesh Node from the 'Advance Config Sync'.

I was having a tinker with the setup, and I noticed the I can't configure the VLAN on any device that is plugged into the LAN port of the AP903, whether it is set as an AP, Mesh Root or Mesh Node.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
05 Feb 2021 15:56 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: VLAN on AP903 LAN Port

foggy69 wrote: The 'Bridge VLAN to mesh' is enabled on both the 2.4 and 5GHz pages, and it has been sent to the Mesh Node from the 'Advance Config Sync'.

My AP903 is not configured in Mesh mode any more, so I can't check - but this was definitely one 'mesh' parameter that was not automatically propagated by the 'Config Sync' ... it had to be manually set on each Mesh node. (It's entirely possible that this behaviour has changed in a recent firmware release - some of the other missing parameters have been added, as time has gone by)

He also wrote:
...how can I change the VLAN to VLAN1 on LAN2 for a device the is plugged into a LAN port on the AP903 that is configured as the Mesh Node. The 2926 will always give the device an IP address in VLAN0, even if you try to force an IP address for VLAN1 in 'Bind IP to MAC'.

I was having a tinker with the setup, and I noticed the I can't configure the VLAN on any device that is plugged into the LAN port of the AP903, whether it is set as an AP, Mesh Root or Mesh Node.

I never investigated this - because I never used Wireless mesh mode in anger - but I reckon if you plug devices (which have configurable VLAN tags) into the LAN ports, you'll get the behaviour you expect. Unfortunately, you can't configure VLAN tags on most devices - and even on Windows PCs, you often have to download some extra software to do it. There's no real sign of any VLAN Tag-related configuration on the AP903 and certainly, nothing relating to tagging/untagging on entry/egress (that you might find on a 'switch').

I assume the AP903 allows untagged LAN access (and makes some assumption about where it's heading?). The LAN-A / LAN-B stuff, may have some bearing on this - but again, I never got to grips with that either :roll:

• foggy69
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2021 10:24 #5 by foggy69
Replied by foggy69 on topic Re: VLAN on AP903 LAN Port

hornbyp wrote:

foggy69 wrote: The 'Bridge VLAN to mesh' is enabled on both the 2.4 and 5GHz pages, and it has been sent to the Mesh Node from the 'Advance Config Sync'.

My AP903 is not configured in Mesh mode any more, so I can't check - but this was definitely one 'mesh' parameter that was not automatically propagated by the 'Config Sync' ... it had to be manually set on each Mesh node. (It's entirely possible that this behaviour has changed in a recent firmware release - some of the other missing parameters have been added, as time has gone by)

He also wrote:
...how can I change the VLAN to VLAN1 on LAN2 for a device the is plugged into a LAN port on the AP903 that is configured as the Mesh Node. The 2926 will always give the device an IP address in VLAN0, even if you try to force an IP address for VLAN1 in 'Bind IP to MAC'.

I never investigated this - because I never used Wireless mesh mode in anger - but I reckon if you plug devices (which have configurable VLAN tags) into the LAN ports, you'll get the behaviour you expect. Unfortunately, you can't configure VLAN tags on most devices - and even on Windows PCs, you often have to download some extra software to do it. There's no real sign of any VLAN Tag-related configuration on the AP903 and certainly, nothing relating to tagging/untagging on entry/egress (that you might find on a 'switch').

I assume the AP903 allows untagged LAN access (and makes some assumption about where it's heading?). The LAN-A / LAN-B stuff, may have some bearing on this - but again, I never got to grips with that either :roll:

I only have the one AP903 set as a Mesh Node, but the 'Bridge VLAN to mesh' must have been sent to it as devices that connect via Wi-Fi to the Mesh Node connect to the correct VLAN as setup in the Wi-Fi settings. It is just devices plugged into the LAN ports that default to VLAN0

I have also tried enabling 'Enable Management VLAN' on the Mesh Root. This gives it a LAN2 address, but anything connected to the LAN ports still all connect to the VLAN0 LAN1. I could not then get the Mesh Node to connect as it would not change to LAN2

More
06 Feb 2021 13:03 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: VLAN on AP903 LAN Port
Intrigued by this I have just tried it with a laptop connected to a LAN port on one of my (ethernet connected) AP903s. I set the Bind IP to MAC to give it an IP in my LAN 2. However, as noted by the OP it stubbornly continues to get a LAN 1 IP, even though the DHCP table on the router (2926ac) now shows that 2 IP addresses are assigned to that MAC - one in LAN 1 and one in LAN 2. I have of course ensured that all VLANs are assigned so that they all get distributed to the AP903s, and it works fine via wifi as noted by the OP.

I vaguely remember that this actually worked with my AP902s, but I'd be the first to admit that my memory could be deceiving me.

I'll dig out one of my old AP902s later and try it, will report back.

Although the obvious thing to try first is to unplug the cable from the AP903 and plug it straight into the laptop - taking the AP903 out of the equation. Have you tried that?

Update - I just tried a direct cable connection to a Win 10 laptop (by "direct" I mean through a VLAN tag aware switch from the router) and, even with a LAN 2 bind IP setting, it still stubbornly stuck to its LAN 1 IP address. Guess it's not worth digging out the 902 :lol: