VLAN on AP903 LAN Port

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2021 17:57 #7 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: VLAN on AP903 LAN Port

foggy69 wrote:
I only have the one AP903 set as a Mesh Node, but the 'Bridge VLAN to mesh' must have been sent to it as devices that connect via Wi-Fi to the Mesh Node connect to the correct VLAN as setup in the Wi-Fi settings.

It could well be, that the bug referred to, only applied when the AP903 was Mesh Root - as in, it definitely failed to send that setting to my AP802 Mesh node. It sounds like the 2926 does it properly and does send it and the AP903, does receive it.

Piste Basher wrote:
Intrigued by this I have just tried it with a laptop connected to a LAN port on one of my (ethernet connected) AP903s
Update - I just tried a direct cable connection to a Win 10 laptop (by "direct" I mean through a VLAN tag aware switch from the router) and, even with a LAN 2 bind IP setting, it still stubbornly stuck to its LAN 1 IP address.

I think this is a different scenario though - I'm guessing that your laptop is ultimately connected back to the Router on Port 1 (with 'allow untagged traffic' set?). Also, that your laptop's LAN interface isn't sending a specific VLAN tag?. (Even with the AP903 LAN ports in the equation, untagged traffic is probably passed between them unchanged).

The OP needs the AP903 to accept untagged traffic in via the LAN, have it tagged with the 'appropriate' VLAN tag, then passed through the 'Mesh'/WDS to the 2926, where the Tag will be acted upon, to select the correct network. As things stand, the AP903 appears to allow untagged traffic in, but it's hard to say if it's tagging it (on ingress) and de-tagging (on egress) ... or if it just leaves it untagged.

Adding a VLAN-capable switch to the AP903 might solve the problem...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2021 18:23 #8 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: VLAN on AP903 LAN Port
Ah perhaps I misunderstood then. However, as a further test I just set the Network Adapter on this very PC to have a VLAN tag of 10, plugged it into my switch and it immediately picked up an IP from my LAN 3, so at least that side of things works.

I'm guessing that would also work through the switch on the AP903 but since I seem to be barking up the wrong tree I'll leave it at that.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2021 21:35 #9 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: VLAN on AP903 LAN Port

Piste Basher wrote:
However, as a further test I just set the Network Adapter on this very PC to have a VLAN tag of 10, plugged it into my switch and it immediately picked up an IP from my LAN 3, so at least that side of things works.

IIRC, one of your AP903's is connected wirelessly, like the OP's...

So which network does your Windows laptop get an IP address from, when plugged into that one - with and without the VLAN TAG=10 set :?:

(This will show if the VLAN tags are at least preserved over the Mesh/WDS)

More
07 Feb 2021 11:10 #10 by piste basher
Yes my AP903 in the garage is connected wirelessly as a mesh node.

So I gave the network adapter in my laptop a VLAN ID of 20 (my guest network on LAN 2, with IP addresses 192.168.2.x )

Went out to the chilly garage and plugged the laptop into one of the ethernet ports on the AP903. It immediately picked up the IP address 192.168.2.80

With no VLAN tag set on the laptop it picks up an IP from LAN 1 (192.168.1.x) (I haven't tried removing LAN 1 from the system - but I'm guessing that it would go for the next available LAN if no tags were set on the laptop ? )

So it appears that VLAN tags are propagated over the mesh and appear on the LAN ports, but of course a VLAN tag "aware" device has to be the connected client.

No IP binding settings required.

Re-reading the original post, it sounds to me as though the OP is trying to "persuade" clients to connect to VLAN(s) in some way, although he doesn't say whether or not he has set the tags on those devices appropriately.

(As an aside, I note that with the latest firmware on the 2926 (which I use as the mesh root) there is a "Bridge VLAN to Mesh" setting on the Mesh setup page; I don't recall seeing that on the previous firmware)

• foggy69
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Feb 2021 11:42 #11 by foggy69
Replied by foggy69 on topic Re: VLAN on AP903 LAN Port
Thank you for your thoughts on this.

I can also confirm that my laptop will connect to the correct VLAN if the VLAN Tag ID is set in it's LAN settings (192.168.2.xx)
The difference is that when I plugged the laptop into the Mesh Root AP903, I could not access IP addresses on the VLAN0 LAN1 (192.168.1.xx), but when I plugged the laptop into the Mesh Node, I could access these IP addresses.

Unfortunately, the device I want to connect has no facility to change the settings for VLAN tags ID. If it is plugged directly into the 2926, it is quite happy to connect to whatever VLAN I set it too. That is why I am trying to persuade it :)

More
07 Feb 2021 11:57 #12 by piste basher

when I plugged the laptop into the Mesh Root AP903, I could not access IP addresses on the VLAN0 LAN1 (192.168.1.xx),

Sorry but I'm a bit confused - you say that your Mesh Root AP903 is wired to the 2926, but if you plug the laptop into it it does not see LAN 1? But surely the AP903 is simply acting as a basic switch in this scenario? I don't understand that.