DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Anybody know how to get wireless WAN 2 working?

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
26 Feb 2021 13:20 #13 by mbames
I've managed to get my XS to connect for 21 minutes today (whilst making a phone call too)... a world record.

Seemed to had a scan for it, add it to the AP MAC list thing, and then on the screen where you entered the password, I cleared the MAC address, put the password in.

Got a support ticket open with Draytek; they want me to phone from a PC with remote control s/w on, so they can remote in and configure it for me. Think I might have an bit more of an experiment before I go down that route - or at least try and see if I can find a common way to may it work, so I can demo it working vs nor working.

*edit 1*
turned off hotspot on the phone and immediately turned it back on..... that broke it. Oddly then when it scans for the phone it shows 100%, when in reality in my office it is around 75% (and that is what it was showing when it was previously connected).

*edit 2*
Had more success, see update on my initial post: http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24084

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
01 Mar 2021 11:47 #14 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Anybody know how to get wireless WAN 2 working?
Well I've given in and ordered a 2927ac....

Will it work? :lol:

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
01 Mar 2021 22:50 #15 by mbames
The most expensive way to get mobile tethering to work :D

Fingers crossed!

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
02 Mar 2021 00:26 #16 by hornbyp

Piste Basher wrote:
Well I've given in and ordered a 2927ac....

I think your vast collection of Draytek gear should be accessible to the general public. There's a gap in the market for a "National Museum of Networking" (I can contribute a Vigor 2300) ...

...It's either that, or you open up as a Used Draytek Re-seller :lol:

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
03 Mar 2021 12:03 #17 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Anybody know how to get wireless WAN 2 working?
Well the 2927 is up and running - had a few anxious moments last night when trying to set it up :o

The interface is a bit different from the 2925 and 2926 - one is initially presented with WAN1 and WAN2 ethernet, WAN3 as 2.4GHz wireless connection, WAN4 as 5GHz wireless connection and WANs 5 and 6 as USB connections.

So - into WAN 3 set up. The Scan button actually works, does not "lock up" the router like my 2926 and wonder of wonders - there is the Android phone :D Looking good methinks...

Add the phone to the settings, reboot as required, and then, and then - the Dashboard shows that WAN3 and WAN4 have completely disappeared :!: :!: WTF is going on :shock:

As what's left of the hair began to be torn out I was watching the "network" icon on the PC and suddenly it was showing as connected with internet :?: :!:

Back to the dashboard - WAN3 and WAN4 now showing again, with WAN3 connected via DHCP to the phone :D :D

So there we are - a cheap fix for the problem :roll:

(small bonus - I can now set the wifi security as WPA3 - although of all my various devices only my iPhone will connect with that setting, so back to WPA2 it is.....)

Update after a day's use - both WAN's are still happily connected, phone is even showing a 5G connection now and then... With my shiny new 2927 I decided to try using it as a mesh root with all of the AP903s as nodes. The setup was trouble free, with all wired uplink nodes happily staying as nodes and not insisting on being in AP Mode :D

Couple of oddities - in "Mesh Status" none of the nodes report having any wireless clients (all say 0) although they do have such clients - this worked on the 2926. Also, the only wirelessly connected node in the Garage stubbornly stays on yellow (amber?) even though it is working fine. All wired nodes are "green".

In the Dashboard display the "System Resources" box initially had 3 lines of info - the third was "CPU Temperature". That line seems to have disappeared, but I'm not sure when that occurred.

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2021 16:37 #18 by piste basher
Three's 5G service seems to be a pile of old cow dung - I have 3-4 bars showing with "5G" above and a download speed of 2Mbps - come on! :roll:

Edit - or maybe it's this Xiomi phone? iPhone 11 adjacent to it also on Three, but limited to 4G, gives me 40 Mbps download speed :?