DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Anybody know how to get wireless WAN 2 working?

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2021 09:13 #7 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Anybody know how to get wireless WAN 2 working?
The plot thickens ....

Inspired by your post I dug out my old 2862 - fired it up, set it to connect to the Android hotspot - et voila! connected straight away - I'm typing this on that connection right now.

So (on another PC) I've told the 2926 to "Scan" the 2.4GHz band for the hotspot but, as has happened several times recently, it just sits there with http://192.168.1.1/doc/WSurvey in the Window header and the "Scanning" button greyed out for several minutes (supposed to take ~5 seconds :roll: ) before returning a blank screen......

So is my 2926 on its way out? I might try reverting to previous firmware later on, have dentist this morning so it'll have to wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2021 12:56 #8 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Anybody know how to get wireless WAN 2 working?
OK so I reverted the 2926ac from 3.9.5 to 3.9.4.1 - made no difference

Dug out my old 2925ac (clearly I have a substantial collection of old Drayteks :roll: )

Set that to use wireless WAN 2 on 2.4GHz and it too connected immediately to the Android hotspot.....

So the problem certainly seems to be in the 2926ac, but I'm left pondering the fact that it connects to the Netgear Aircard.....(or at least it did, but when last used it was on the 5GHz band :!: )

Next thing is to try a factory reset....

I'll be back

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2021 13:23 #9 by piste basher
Hmm - I loaded the 3.9.5 rst file and without touching any other settings I tried to set WAN 2 to use wireless 2.4GHz

Using the "AP Discovery" button followed by "Scan" resulted in the (by now familiar) "lock up" - the router became unresponsive until I refreshed the web page

No stations were found, although scanning on 5GHz worked fine...

So it looks as though something in the 2.4GHz setup on the 2926ac isn't working properly.

If I set the phone hotspot to 5GHz my iPhone can see it in the list of available networks, but none of the Draytek (nor indeed an AP903 when it is next to the phone) routers can......

What a pain :!:

Update - just checked with an AP902 and that can't "see" the 5GHz hotspot either. One does wonder (as others have speculated on here in the past) whether there is indeed something non-standard about the way Draytek implement their wifi - or is it Apple and Xiomi who are non-standard?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2021 02:58 #10 by hornbyp

Piste Basher wrote:
One does wonder (as others have speculated on here in the past) whether there is indeed something non-standard about the way Draytek implement their wifi - or is it Apple and Xiomi who are non-standard?

Well when it comes down to it, they're probably all using the same Qualcomm wireless chip :)

I've encountered a few Wifi peculiarities over the years: I had a Netatmo thermostat, that just got slower and slower in its responses, until it died - but only if it was on Channel 1. My Canon DLSR can't use Channel 13 :cry: The support chap at Canon, said it was because "it had to work all over the world". Apparently, the part of the world I was in, didn't count!
Drayton/Wiser suggested I re-jig my Wifi, to avoid the Zigbee in their heating controller.

In all cases, the device manufacturer's answer was to tailor my infrastructure to suit their one device - my protestations of "tail wagging dog", was lost on them :roll:

(I was going to suggest swapping wireless modules from the 2862 to 2926, but, from the few pictures I've found, Draytek seem to have abandoned that approach and are just integrating it onto the main board.)

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2021 09:11 #11 by piste basher
Almost every time I've reset things to try a different config the phone has switched to a different channel in the 2.4GHz band, so I'm doubtful that it's as "simple" as a channel problem...the phone choice of channel is not user controllable as far as I can see.

I had actually thought of swapping wifi cards (I also have a 2860 in pieces, just to see what they used :lol: ), but it sounds as though I shouldn't bother opening up the 2926.

Although other devices can still connect to the 2926 on 2.4, the fact that "AP Discovery" just doesn't work - and indeed locks up the GUI - makes me think that there is a strange fault somewhere. AP Discovery on 5GHz has always been weird (usually requires several clicks of the button before it actually seems to do anything - this was the same on the previous routers iirc - it does eventually work. Except of course that it doesn't discover the phone hotspot.....

I'm trying to remember why I changed from the 2925 to the 2926.....sure there must have been a good reason :roll:

Perhaps I'll go back to the 2925...

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2021 18:10 #12 by piste basher
Another strange quirk discovered by accident today...

When activating the hotspot on the Android phone I have, up to now, been turning the normal wifi to "Off" beforehand, as it doesn't function anyway with the hotspot active.

Today I left the wifi "On" and activated the hotspot on 5GHz - you will recall from above that the 2926 could not "see" the hotspot in this band, although my iPhone and laptop can and can connect to it straight away.

So I went to the Discover button on the 2926 - lo and behold there was the phone hotspot in the list! Showing with security as WPA2/PSK.....

A click of the "Add this to the repeater" button and up pops the message "Connection does not support WPA + WPA2/PSK security" - and that's your lot chum.

Very odd since it's not using WPA + WPA2/PSK security :?

I tried turning off security altogether but that just results in the "no hotspots here mate" failure to "see" it again.