DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Guest Wifi & vlans

More
10 Dec 2021 14:11 #1 by mbames
Guest Wifi & vlans was created by mbames
Ok, you'd think this would be quite simple, but I'm struggling in part.

I have "guest" wifi set up on my 2925, VLAN2 (subnet LAN3), SSID2, with its own DHCP, etc and it works perfectly.

However, I have 2 x 910c APs which dramatically improve the wifi coverage in the house. They carry my normal wifi (as does the 2925).

If tag the SSID2 on the 2925 as vid 5, and then add a vid 5 to the profiles on the 910c for the guest SSID the wheels start to fall off the bus! Any Wifi client connecting to the AP910c doesn't get an IP address.

Physical set up is P1-> SamKnows Whitebox -> Netgear POE Managed switch -> APs & everything else in the house.

Happy to post any specific screenshots of config. The switch is a GS728TPP, I only use it for POE abilities (otherwise it is out of the box config), and I'm not really interested in any clever features it might have.... I half suspect it might be the cause of my issues, so asking for help here might not get me anywhere, but hoping there might be a helpful person around.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2021 14:30 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Guest Wifi & vlans
Likely a silly question but you have added LAN3 to P1 in the VLAN table?

More
10 Dec 2021 15:52 #3 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Guest Wifi & vlans

Piste Basher wrote:
Likely a silly question but you have added LAN3 to P1 in the VLAN table?

Yep. Last night when I was fiddling with it, initially I didn't have that. When I added it it then started dishing out IPs from LAN1 range, so I turned it off again! Having turned it back on today it still seems to fail (devices show 169.x.y.z) :?

2925 config LAN settings

Not sure if I need to tick or untick the option "Permit untagged device in P1 to access router", most of the guides seem to show it as unticked.

910c Guest wifi settings

More
10 Dec 2021 16:44 #4 by piste basher
It looks as though you are using AP management to set the VLAN tag - what happens if you enter it directly in the wireless set up page on the 910C ?

(PS I've always allowed untagged device in P1 to access the router and have not had any problem as far as I know)

More
10 Dec 2021 16:59 #5 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Guest Wifi & vlans

Piste Basher wrote:
It looks as though you are using AP management to set the VLAN tag - what happens if you enter it directly in the wireless set up page on the 910C ?

(PS I've always allowed untagged device in P1 to access the router and have not had any problem as far as I know)

Just logged into one of them (can't remember which is which!), and it shows the settings I'd expect to see. Initially when I first set it up I used a VID of 2, and then changed that to 5, so I'm confident the profile is being deployed to the APs

More
10 Dec 2021 17:12 #6 by piste basher
Have you tried connecting an AP directly to P1, eliminating the intermediate devices ?

Moderators: Sami