• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2022 13:51 #1 by sidewinder
SSID's on AP900's was created by sidewinder
Hello all,
I am wondering please if I am going one step too far with this.

I have a 2860Vn+ as a router and DHCP server.
Connected to this I have a PoE network switch.
Connected to the switch I have various wired clients and several AP900's dotted around to ensure good wi-fi coverage.
I have 2 different SSID's being broadcast by the AP900's and returning to the router via the ethernet wiring and all is well.
Each has its own IP pool, and all is well.

I have set the 2860Vn+ to have a 3rd SSID & associated IP pool as a guest network, and this works fine, but I don't have adequate coverage.

This is working and has been for some time, just patchy coverage for guests.

I want to add the guest wi-fi network to all the AP900's too, if possible.
My question is, can I add a 3rd SSID to the AP900's and get this to work down the wiring too?...
I can configure the intermediate switch as required, if necessary, I am first wondering if the 3rd SSID will work on the AP900, or is it a non-starter, please?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2022 16:36 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: SSID's on AP900's
Long time since I had an AP900 but as I recall they can be configured with up to 4 SSID's - why do you have doubts that it'll work?

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2022 16:41 #3 by sidewinder
Replied by sidewinder on topic Re: SSID's on AP900's
It has the ability to broadcast 4 SSID's yes.
When I enable the 3rd, I can't connect to it, all 3 are going via the PoE supply on Lan A.
I asked before I rip one out, and bring it into where the 2860 is and start playing around to see if it is the AP900, or the interposing network switch gear.

More
04 Jan 2022 17:25 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: SSID's on AP900's
Well I have used 3 (sometimes 4) SSID's on AP902's, AP903's and AP960c's, all fed through a POE switch (Draytek then Zyzel) and all have worked, so I feel that yours should do so.....

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2022 17:49 #5 by sidewinder
Replied by sidewinder on topic Re: SSID's on AP900's
Thanks, I’ll get a psu and connect directly to the 2860 then and see if that works.
I have a Netgear and a couple of D-Link units around, it could be the configuration of those units.
I asked because every document I had seen suggested two SSID's only.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2022 18:12 #6 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: SSID's on AP900's
Is this a VLAN-tagging question?, as per this thread: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=24431

My multiple AP's are connected via 3 Netgear switches to the 2860n. All are tagged-vlans and some confusion ensued, during their initial configuration :)

As an aside, I don't really understand the concept of "Guest Wifi", in conjunction with separate Access Points. For a simple, single 'consumer Wifi Router', "Guest Wifi " just means an SSID that gives a connection to the outside world, but not the LAN or other nodes. But the minute multiple APs are involved, with all traffic from whatever SSID having to share a wire back to the Router, doesn't VLAN tagging become an immediate requirement?