Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

ARP Responses from Vigor AP903 WiFi clients are not sent to LAN Requestor

• hornbyp
  • Topic Author
  • Big Contributor
  • Big Contributor
More
28 Mar 2022 18:09 #7 by hornbyp
I found a program that can quantify the problem I have been seeing with the AP 903, here: https://elifulkerson.com/projects/arp-ping.php

Rather than leaving "ping -t w.x.y.z" running and manually issuing periodic "arp -d" commands (to flush the cache), the above program can automate the test.

Code:
C:\> arp-ping -d -t w.x.y.z

This clears the ARP cache, and then issues an ARP "REQUEST": "Who has w.x.y.z?"

I tried it with a variety of Access Points/Routers & Routers acting solely as Access Points. The same WiFi client (Huawei Mate 20 Pro) was used for each test, but the problem manifests itself with different clients. It does not seem related to the 'band' used. The SSID's were all using VLAN-tagging, except for the wildcard Fritz!box 7530, which required a Netgear GS105e as a 'helper'.

The statistics I gathered were as follows:-

• Fritz!Box 7530 (NO FAILURES AT ALL). Not VLAN-aware; tagging done by external switch

• Vigor 2860n (1.2% failure rate)

• VIGOR AP802 (19.4% failure rate)

• Vigor 2830n (74% failure rate)

• Vigor AP903 (100% failure rate)

:shock:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • Topic Author
  • Big Contributor
  • Big Contributor
More
21 Apr 2022 01:29 #8 by hornbyp

I wrote:
I have re-submitted this. Ticket no. DQ498561

Draytek Support wrote: I have indeed reproduced this issue i have forwarded on the ticket to second line

EDIT
I just noticed, that since I logged this issue, Draytek have released firmware version 1.4.3 for the AP903. It doesn't fix the problem though :(

• hornbyp
  • Topic Author
  • Big Contributor
  • Big Contributor
More
24 Jun 2022 00:36 #9 by hornbyp
Me -> Draytek Support: "Do you have an update or a fix for this issue? (it’s been two months now)"

Draytek Support -> Me: "Thank you for replying. Newer firmware has been released for the ap903."

Needless to say, neither V1.4.3, V1.4.4 nor V1.4.5 make the slightest bit of difference.

I'm close to giving up (on Draytek in general). :shock:

More
25 Jun 2022 14:39 #10 by desquinn
we are teetering on the brink of moving our wifi stuff to ubiquiti. Annoyingly my collegue did not convice me (well enough) at the time that we decided on draytek for wifi stuff :( Our thought was routers and APs from same manufacturer would make management easier. It hasn't.

Des Quinn

• hornbyp
  • Topic Author
  • Big Contributor
  • Big Contributor
More
05 Jul 2022 02:47 #11 by hornbyp
I finally got a message from 2nd line support ...

"Can I send them a screenshot of my Draytek router's LAN>>VLAN page. If I own one..." :roll:

(I've already sent them an AP903 config. file and instructions on how to reproduce the fault, using a WiFi client and a wired-client. No Draytek router required...)

I really have given up all hope of them fixing this.

• hornbyp
  • Topic Author
  • Big Contributor
  • Big Contributor
More
10 Aug 2022 00:02 #12 by hornbyp
FOUR MONTHS since this was reported and this is still not fixed :!:

First line support reproduced the issue, but not second line. It turns out that second line support do not have a PC on which they can change the VLAN tag :roll: :!: :?: :twisted: :o :shock: :evil:

They even went so far as to suggest, that what I was trying to do (use all four SSIDs, logically separated by VLANs), was - somehow - "not mainstream". Clearly Draytek have given up on SOHO environments and just consider the likes of TP-Link and Netgear in a domestic setting as their competitors.

(In which case, they're going to have to lower their prices, to match their new customers expectations!)

Moderators: Sami