DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VigorAP 960C setting up as wireless mesh node

• brightonrob
  • Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2022 22:08 #1 by brightonrob
Hi

Im having difficulty setting up a VigorAP 960C as wireless mesh node.

I have tried connecting wirelessly in set up, but then when I try to add from the mesh root it hasnt found it and generally doesnt get an IP
Ive tried connecting it via a wired lan, and it all works fine, syncs cfg, mode mesh node, wireless uplink (?) connection, all looks as it should but then I take the cable out and the box is unpingable ( has a static IP).
I have managed to set up wirelessly and get an IP, Im not sure if its relevant but I set a relay agent, even though the dhcp server is on the same subnet. Although then the 960c stayed on line (orange) for a few minutes and then went red and offline.

So through all the above confusion. Is the best practice to set this up as a wireless node.
1. Connect wireless or wired to get an IP address?
2. Set up physically near the mesh root or where you are going to use the 960C
3. Should I add the meshnode by going to the root and searching or using the wireless app
4. My mesh is 4 * 903 all wired into the network, the one wireless mesh node , ie connects into the network wirelessly, continually went off line and needed readding, any ideas how to prevent that?

I guess what Id like is to be able to find a robust way to add nodes wirelssly, I had a lot of similar problems with the 802s and I bought the 960c thinking it was a hardware problem on the 802s.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would really help, Im kinda tearing my hair out...

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2022 09:10 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: VigorAP 960C setting up as wireless mesh node
I've used 903 and 960C in a mesh setup, also with a 2927ac until I changed to a 2927ax (which doesn't have mesh -yet??)

I currently have 3 x 960C in a mesh with one of them as (wired) root, another wired node and one wireless node.

Despite the Draytek blurb I have never managed to add one "out of the box" wirelessly. I've always had to temporarily wire them to set them up. Once set up the system has been pretty stable, although when deploying an AP in wireless mode after setting it up it can take quite a while and a few "searching" attempts to find it and join the mesh.

Not much help to you I'm afraid

• brightonrob
  • Topic Author
More
24 Aug 2022 09:54 #3 by brightonrob
Replied by brightonrob on topic Re: VigorAP 960C setting up as wireless mesh node
Thanks piste basher....good to hear your experience, sounds like it might be the case of wiring them into to get them connected to the network then changing them to a wireless node. I have had difficulty though with this as as soon as I take the wire out, it cant be found, even though its set up as a wireless connection!

It does seem they struggle to get an IP address wirelessly, Ive even turned on relay (which I think is unecessary as dhcp server is on the same subnet) to try and help

It is fiddly Ive spent hours trying to get this done, a wired mesh network no problem, with wireless nodes arrgh!!

Best

More
24 Aug 2022 11:24 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: VigorAP 960C setting up as wireless mesh node
I haven't tried to use relay but I do give all my network devices a fixed IP via Bind to MAC. Whether it helps or not I can't say :lol:

• brightonrob
  • Topic Author
More
24 Aug 2022 16:03 #5 by brightonrob
Replied by brightonrob on topic Re: VigorAP 960C setting up as wireless mesh node

Piste Basher wrote:
I haven't tried to use relay but I do give all my network devices a fixed IP via Bind to MAC. Whether it helps or not I can't say :lol:

Thanks for the thoughts, standardly I used fixed IP, for the Mesh, although now been using fixed for the wired and then tried dhcp for the wireless uplink, although had previously used fixed.

Im just trying on the 802 as same problem as 960 and get this on the wireless setup
1. reset 802, no wired uplink
2. try to add it from the root web ui
3. Isnt found
4. do mesh discovery on web root web gui, is found with good signal strength
5. Does have a DHCP IP address, from my windows server
6. Cant ping the IP
7. Try to add it from the root web ui and isnt found

More
25 Aug 2022 09:09 #6 by piste basher
Just to clarify, what are you using as the root? I had similar problems using a 2927ac as root until it was fixed by a new firmware.

Moderators: Sami