DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2927ax Wi-Fi dropouts

More
27 Oct 2022 09:38 #7 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: 2927ax Wi-Fi dropouts
My Fritzbox simply states that radar was detected and then switches to another channel (https://service.avm.de/help/en/FRITZ-Box-7530-avme/019p2/hilfe_syslog_790). Which is why it's probably less noticeable by the user in terms of the continuity of the service. Draytek, on the other hand, seems to shut the service down:

https://draytek.co.uk/information/blog/ofcom-relax-the-rules-on-the-5ghz-band

Does that mean there's radar in your vicinity? Would future upgrades, following the relaxation of Ofcom rules, bring a better performance?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dtnewbie
  • Topic Author
More
27 Oct 2022 15:20 #8 by dtnewbie
Replied by dtnewbie on topic Re: 2927ax Wi-Fi dropouts
I would be flabbergasted if there were any radar signals around me, unless modern computer on wheels excuses for cars with their gimmick sensors also counted. But my dropouts don't coincide with passing cars.

Interesting to read your article on Ofcom relaxing the rules. I note TPC is similar to avoiding talking too loudly in a restaurant - you only need to speak loud enough for your party to hear and avoid disturbing neighbouring tables. I wish some humans had TPC.

Back to my immediate problem, I have separate SSIDs for both guest and non-guest, and 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Band steering is disabled.

Any thoughts please?

More
27 Oct 2022 18:41 #9 by edinburgh
Have you tested with another (non-Draytek) router? This would or would not eliminate your environment and/or your equipment as the cause of your issues.

• dtnewbie
  • Topic Author
More
27 Oct 2022 21:59 #10 by dtnewbie
Replied by dtnewbie on topic Re: 2927ax Wi-Fi dropouts
My previous RT-AC66U router was rock solid on the Wi-Fi connectivity. I really hope I can get this DrayTek working as well.

More
28 Oct 2022 00:51 #11 by edinburgh
Then it's either the router (faulty chip) or the firmware or, less likely, the quality of the chip used. Could you exchange the router for a new one or send it to Draytek to have it checked? I presume you have tested with other channels and all the other settings? (also https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5318) Did you also reset the router and start from scratch with very few changes to the configuration?

If nothing else works, you should contact Draytek Support, though I must warn you that the wait time is awfy long, and sometimes, Draytek Support doesn't respond at all, or it responds with the general suggestions like change channels etc. Things maybe have changed over the past year or so.

(By the way: am I right in thinking that there were some problems with the Asus RT660, but that the latest firmware has improved the stability overall?)

• piste basher
  • Away
More
28 Oct 2022 12:43 #12 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2927ax Wi-Fi dropouts
As the 4.4.2 firmware is now available on the UK site I thought I'd give it another try on my 2927ax.....

Once again the Mesh search function fails to find any AP's to add to the mesh...

If the mesh function is enabled, clicking on "AP Discovery" in the 5GHz settings results initially in an unresponsive GUI and then a "Connection has been reset" message with the inability to access it via 192.168.1.1 - even though it still appears to be working - I'm typing this on a PC connected to it :roll:

After a few minutes connection via 192.168.1.1 once again becomes possible

Sigh