DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draktek Vigor2850 holding back VDSL speed?

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
11 Oct 2020 06:24 #13 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Draktek Vigor2850 holding back VDSL speed?
Ahh, that makes sense , a faulty PSU causes a whole host of issues. It might be worth contacting support to see if they can supply a DrayTek PSU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andrewholland73
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Oct 2020 08:49 #14 by andrewholland73
Replied by andrewholland73 on topic Re: Draktek Vigor2850 holding back VDSL speed?
I've now obtained an official Draytek PSU, which is rated at 2.5A. The download speed is now at 43260Kbps and changing back to the other supply immediately causes a speed drop still, so yes, it's definitely the case the supply I had was partly the cause. The next question is why it's not the 55Mbps that BT insists the line should be capable of delivering. PlusNet have sent me one of their standard routers and I'll be trying that today so as to compare...

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
17 Oct 2020 09:28 #15 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Draktek Vigor2850 holding back VDSL speed?
I would leave the router and line alone for a few weeks.

The more you make changes/disconnect etc. the worse things will become.

Your line is managed by software at BT/Openeach , it will monitor for faults and stability, frequent changes and disconnections can be read as faults and the line speed is reduced to keep it stable.

Advance Status Upstream Downstream Unit
Actual delay 0 8 ms
Actual INP 0 30 0.1 symbols

Your stats show a delay , this is interleaving/ impulse noise protection. That is reducing your downstream speed. Best to connect with your new PSU and leave well alone for a while. The BT DSLAM system could take up to 3 weeks to assess your connection.

• andrewholland73
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Oct 2020 15:03 #16 by andrewholland73
Replied by andrewholland73 on topic Re: Draktek Vigor2850 holding back VDSL speed?

AdrianH54 wrote:
I would leave the router and line alone for a few weeks.

The more you make changes/disconnect etc. the worse things will become.

Your line is managed by software at BT/Openeach , it will monitor for faults and stability, frequent changes and disconnections can be read as faults and the line speed is reduced to keep it stable.

Advance Status Upstream Downstream Unit
Actual delay 0 8 ms

Your stats show a delay , this is interleaving/ impulse noise protection. That is reducing your downstream speed. Best to connect with your new PSU and leave well alone for a while. The BT DSLAM system could take up to 3 weeks to assess your connection.

Noted. However at Plusnet's request I have tried their router and while it's stats screen reported a download speed of 53Mbps the BT speed checker is still showing 40Mbps on a CAT5 connection to it. So Plusnet are confused and will bounce it back to BT for another look. But I like the idea that DSLAM might just correct this by itself, let's hope it does.

More
17 Oct 2020 15:41 #17 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Draktek Vigor2850 holding back VDSL speed?
It may do if you're lucky - mine never did until I asked my ISP (Zen) to give Openreach a kick and re-set the line, or whatever magic it is they do. Been fine ever since (although I use a 130 specifically to avoid any problems like this, given the number of re-boots required with the router....)