DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draktek Vigor2850 holding back VDSL speed?

More
08 Oct 2020 17:33 #7 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Draktek Vigor2850 holding back VDSL speed?
Actual Data Rate 14234 (Upstream) 35333 (downstream) Kb/s this is what you are seeing.

Attainable Rate 14428(Up) 35333 (down) Kbps this is the maximum sych speed possible on your connection .

I still think you need to have a talk with your ISP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2020 17:42 #8 by admin3
Thanks for the extra details. 12db attenuation could be up to a kilometer of cable length according to the calculator here, putting the speeds about right for that line length / quality:
https://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

It might be worth trying the router connected directly to the master socket to see if that helps.

Forum Administrator

More
09 Oct 2020 06:24 #9 by adrianh54

admin3 wrote:
Thanks for the extra details. 12db attenuation could be up to a kilometer of cable length according to the calculator here, putting the speeds about right for that line length / quality:

It might be worth trying the router connected directly to the master socket to see if that helps.

I was told long ago by a senior BT/OpenReach tech manager that you can't use line attenuation as a measure on FTTC connections.

I am 130 meters from the FTTC cabinet, synch speed 80/20 and receiving the maximum throughput possible. My Vigor 130 reports attenuation at 13db up and 14 db down stream, that is the line length back to the phone exchange , not the link from DSLAM to house.

There is a useful chart showing the relationship between speeds and distance to FTTC cabinet here :

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

• andrewholland73
  • Topic Author
More
09 Oct 2020 17:19 #10 by andrewholland73
Replied by andrewholland73 on topic Re: Draktek Vigor2850 holding back VDSL speed?

admin3 wrote:

Dumb question, where did you get that 12db from?

When plugged directly into the master socket (i.e. with the faceplate off) the stats are unchanged.

More
09 Oct 2020 20:13 #11 by adrianh54

Electrical Length 126 126 0.1 dB (126x0.1= 12.6)

Do you know where your FTTC cabinet is located, how far from cabinet to house?

• andrewholland73
  • Topic Author
More
10 Oct 2020 23:07 #12 by andrewholland73
Replied by andrewholland73 on topic Re: Draktek Vigor2850 holding back VDSL speed?

AdrianH54 wrote:

Electrical Length 126 126 0.1 dB (126x0.1= 12.6)

Do you know where your FTTC cabinet is located, how far from cabinet to house?

I'm afraid not on both counts.

I have been making progress with this though. This router seems to eat PSUs every 3 or 4 years or so. From memory I had to replace the original PSU around 2014/5 and that blew out during 2018. I got, at the time a generic replacement supply from CPC (which needed a DC plug adapter on the end of it as it's the wrong size) which was rated as per the previous PSU 12v, 1.5A out but I found over a period of months the router kept dropping the connection and was otherwise a little unstable and rebooted randomly, and I put it down to the PSU at the time. So I replaced that. The replacement was obtained online and is a MyVolts branded supply which seemed to work fine at the time and has caused me no obvious problems since. I later came to realise though that the reboots were being caused by router just having random hissy fits when trying to print (I use the USB printing sharing feature with it). Then this year I moved from Unlimited Fire to Unlimited Fibre Extra and have been unimpressed with the minimal or zero speed increase since.

So this morning I thought, what about the PSU? I dug out the the CPC sourced previous supply and tried that. To my surprise the connection speed instantly went up 43871Kbps. If I revert back to the newer supply thereafter it, it now connects at around 38k. On closer inspection I now realise that this MyVolts supply is rated at 12V, 1.0A! Clearly that 0.5A is making a lot of difference.

But what I'm not sure about is what the actual correct rating for a PSU for the 2850 is supposed to be, my 2850n itself has 12V 1.3A on the label underneath. According to the specs the DRAYPSU16 (apparently the correct PSU for the 2850 series) is 2.5A but I can't recall ever having a supply which provides that for it, not even the original one. Can someone please verify what output of the original Draytek supplied PSU is please and also indicate which other models PSUs will the 2850 work correctly with? I'm going to buy yet another replacement supply as I'm not convinced this CPC sourced supply is itself ok and I'd like to fully rule that out.

I also spoke to PlusNet today. They confirm the line is truly on the Unlimited Fibre Extra package and they can see no reason why I shouldn't be getting a faster speed. They have popped one of their own routers in the post to me for me to try finally rule in or out a problem with the Draytek... I've got this funny feeling it will connect at a faster speed now and that the router (or the PSU) is truly the cause of the trouble, sadly...

I'll update below in a few days... Thanks for the advice thus far.

Moderators: Sami