DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2866 series

• piste basher
  • Away
More
11 Feb 2024 13:40 #13 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Draytek 2866 series
Ah I see, you were including the possibilities for wifi WAN connections and USB dongle WANS in your list.

If you only have one WAN connection (presumably it's an ethernet one) then that's the only one that needs to be enabled. As above, if you don't have more than one then there's nothing to "balance".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• chris777555
  • Topic Author
More
11 Feb 2024 14:23 #14 by chris777555
Replied by chris777555 on topic Re: Draytek 2866 series

Piste Basher wrote:
Ah I see, you were including the possibilities for wifi WAN connections and USB dongle WANS in your list.

If you only have one WAN connection (presumably it's an ethernet one) then that's the only one that needs to be enabled. As above, if you don't have more than one then there's nothing to "balance".

thanks, now im still trying to enable bitswap, it shows it as 0,0 on both the down stream and upstream in the telnet command.

when I go to vdsl status in the draytek router it shows it as OFF on both downstream and upstream. I believe this should be enabled, as my previous draytek router showed it as ON on both the downstream and upstream.

I am a home user so I am really not sure how to enter the syntax to enable bitswap on both the upstream and downstream. I understand I have to do save the config afterwards to save the settings I have made.

I typed in vdsl optn BITSWAP [us/ds/ [value/1/1]] into the telnet cmd and nothing happend. can you help me with the correct syntax?

More
11 Feb 2024 15:51 #15 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Draytek 2866 series
This is a known bug on Draytek products that they report something as enabled that is disabled and vice versa, but this confusion comes from Draytek referring to as a default option. So, essentially, when you see '0', it's default, but then this default can be either 'on' or 'off', depending on the function (see further explanation below).

To be honest: in relation to the management of your line, a lot of depends on what is enabled/disabled at the exchange: you can try to change some things and they won't have any effect at all.

If you want to know an actual state of things: my recommendation is to get a different router.

To get Draytek to *attempt* to switch on/off bitswap, you can have to enter the following command:

vdsl optn bitswap on

Please note that if it's reported '0' means that it's default (which is on); 1 is on; 2 is off. So, effectively, there are three options here, not two: default, on, off, where for default = on (but when it comes to other options, default can be off, even though it's displayed as '0').

• chris777555
  • Topic Author
More
11 Feb 2024 20:24 #16 by chris777555

edinburgh wrote:
This is a known bug on Draytek products that they report something as enabled that is disabled and vice versa, but this confusion comes from Draytek referring to as a default option. So, essentially, when you see '0', it's default, but then this default can be either 'on' or 'off', depending on the function (see further explanation below).

To be honest: in relation to the management of your line, a lot of depends on what is enabled/disabled at the exchange: you can try to change some things and they won't have any effect at all.

If you want to know an actual state of things: my recommendation is to get a different router.

To get Draytek to *attempt* to switch on/off bitswap, you can have to enter the following command:

vdsl optn bitswap on

Please note that if it's reported '0' means that it's default (which is on); 1 is on; 2 is off. So, effectively, there are three options here, not two: default, on, off, where for default = on (but when it comes to other options, default can be off, even though it's displayed as '0').

what would the syntax be to add value of 1?

The syntax you gave me is for default (on) I need it to be (1) which is always on

More
12 Feb 2024 17:23 #17 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Draytek 2866 series
Well, you could try and look it up. It says clearly in the manual - which I quoted here - that it's either on or off, and that the default option is on. The syntax is what in the manual quotes and I'm not making this up. The values are: on, on and off.

Other than that, I'm unsure what it is that you want to achieve here. Also, remember that your line will be managed dynamically and so depending on the connection quality, the exchange will apply specific settings, one of which is bitswap. By the looks of it, you already have bitswap enabled (which is its default value).

Why do you need bitswap anyway? Do you have any problems with the connection quality?

If you're unsure what you're doing (which kind of makes me think is the the case here), I'd stay away from changing any DSL related settings as you can easily make the line inoperable.

• chris777555
  • Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2024 07:06 #18 by chris777555

edinburgh wrote:
Well, you could try and look it up. It says clearly in the manual - which I quoted here - that it's either on or off, and that the default option is on. The syntax is what in the manual quotes and I'm not making this up. The values are: on, on and off.

Other than that, I'm unsure what it is that you want to achieve here. Also, remember that your line will be managed dynamically and so depending on the connection quality, the exchange will apply specific settings, one of which is bitswap. By the looks of it, you already have bitswap enabled (which is its default value).

Why do you need bitswap anyway? Do you have any problems with the connection quality?

If you're unsure what you're doing (which kind of makes me think is the the case here), I'd stay away from changing any DSL related settings as you can easily make the line inoperable.

Yes without bitswap I noticed latency issues in game not sure why, Also lower speeds, and higher snr margin. I want it 'ON' so it reflects that in Diagnostics >> DSL Status.

on the draytek 2763ac Diagnostics >> DSL Status it showes it is 'ON' on both downstream and upstream. Also in telnet it showed it as ON. "1,1"

Draytek 2766vac Diagnostics >> DSL Status Showes it is 'OFF' on both down stream and upstream. in telnet it showes it as 0, 0

Draytek 2866ac Diagnostics >> DSL Status showes it is 'OFF' on both upstream and Downstream. In telnet it showes it as 0, 0

So I am assuming I need to type in vdsl optn bitswap 1, 1 ?

then type vdsl savecfg

and reboot router for changes to take effect?

After doing that, I noticed Diagnostics >> DSL Status it still says OFF on both downstream and upstream.

Howver in telent it showes it as [US] = 0, [DS] = 1.

before I typed in 'vdsl optn bitswap 1, 1' it showed in telent both downstream and upstream = 0.

Now it showes in telnet [US] = 0 [DS] = 1. But doens't reflct that in Diagnostics >> DSL Status

and that would force bitswap to be turned On both upstream and downstream?