DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2866 series

More
05 Oct 2023 06:45 #7 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Draytek 2866 series
If you're finding it too advanced to do it, then you should leave it. By changing DSL settings, you could potentially make your line inoperative. If bitswap is switched off on your line by default, then probably there's a reason for that, because this and other settings (vectoring etc.) are pre-configured at the exchange.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• chris777555
  • Topic Author
More
21 Oct 2023 21:41 #8 by chris777555
Replied by chris777555 on topic Re: Draytek 2866 series

edinburgh wrote:
If you're finding it too advanced to do it, then you should leave it. By changing DSL settings, you could potentially make your line inoperative. If bitswap is switched off on your line by default, then probably there's a reason for that, because this and other settings (vectoring etc.) are pre-configured at the exchange.

Yeah I would of thought that. However I purchased a different model of draytek and it now by default shows that bit swap is on on both upstream and downstream. So perhaps the other draytek router was displaying incorrect stats?

Now It shows that on the physical connection vectoring is not active. It shows RetX is enabled on upstream and not on downstream.

I used telnet and told it to enable retx on downstream, it replied back to me told me has enabled it on downstream, , but still showing 0 on downstream for retx in the dsl status. and 1 on upstream for retx.

More
24 Oct 2023 21:29 #9 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Draytek 2866 series
I believe there is a bug in the way this information is displayed, which has been mentioned before. You'll very seldom get vectoring on on upstream. See my stats in the screenshot below.

What does the Interface section say on the Dashboard? And what are your speeds? What models of Draytek are you talking about, as you neither mention them, nor provide a screenshot of your stats.

I also vaguely remember that there is a different firmware version that somewhat reports back that both downstream and upstream are reversed. Strange that, so probably a bug.

I'd start with checking firmware versions, i.e. if they were the same. Some settings are set by the DSL and no matter what, you'll not be able to change them.

• chris777555
  • Topic Author
More
10 Feb 2024 12:11 #10 by chris777555
Thanks, my other issue is that load balancing do I need this enabled? I only have one internet connection, home user here.

I did untick load balancing and all the extra wan ports and kept only WAN port 1 enabled, and my internet speed dropped from 60 to 48 mbps.

More
11 Feb 2024 08:37 #11 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Draytek 2866 series
If you only have one WAN connection you have nothing to "load balance" between.

Not sure what you mean by "all the other WAN ports" - afaik the 2866 only has 2.

Turning off load balancing and ports shouldn't have affected your download speed, but if you've been doing a lot of re-booting the DSLAM might have concluded you have a dodgy line and applied interleaving - this will reduce your speed. If that is the case (check in your line stats) then if you're lucky and leave it alone for a few weeks it might come up again. Otherwise you'll have to ask your ISP to get Openreach to reset the line.

• chris777555
  • Topic Author
More
11 Feb 2024 12:22 #12 by chris777555

Piste Basher wrote:
If you only have one WAN connection you have nothing to "load balance" between.

Not sure what you mean by "all the other WAN ports" - afaik the 2866 only has 2.

Turning off load balancing and ports shouldn't have affected your download speed, but if you've been doing a lot of re-booting the DSLAM might have concluded you have a dodgy line and applied interleaving - this will reduce your speed. If that is the case (check in your line stats) then if you're lucky and leave it alone for a few weeks it might come up again. Otherwise you'll have to ask your ISP to get Openreach to reset the line.

WAN >> General Setup

by default wan,1,2,3,4,5, are all selected with load balance on. Is it safe to untick all the WAN index and only leave wan 1 enabled for internet and untick all load balance off?

Moderators: Sami