DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

V2820Vn hard reset on incoming VOIP calls

• reetp
  • Topic Author
More
23 Mar 2011 22:03 #1 by reetp
I believe the router I have has either a bug or a hardware fault.

I originally bought it in the UK and have subsequently moved to Spain. I tried to report this to Draytek UK support but they didn't want to know as it would appear that they don't support a UK
router in a different country. Apart from the following problem, they seem to have coped with the different climate reasonably well :-)

To explain the problem.

I have two routers here. One connects via a VPN to another Draytek in the UK. All our VOIP calls to our Telrad exchange in the UK are routed through the VPN.

The second router is the Vn version and is used as the 'Internet' router. It has a static route just to forward all VPN traffic via the other router. In other words if I disconnected the ADSL from the Vn router, it would still take my calls and send it via the other router back to the UK.

e.g
2820Vn 192.168.10.x - static route to UK via
2820 192.168.10.y - with VPN back to UK

I have a Telrad IP handset that connects via a switch and the VPN, and on the 2820Vn I have two handsets, one for a Draytel account and one for the Telrad VOIP account.

The Draytel account and handset (a completely basic standard telephone handset) works fine. If I swap handsets and/or VOIP acount settings from port 1 to port 2 etc. I get the same problems so it appears to be nothing to do with the hansdets. Outgoing calls to the Telrad are fine once registered (though it can sometimes take a while for the router to register the account on the server) but incoming calls are almost impossible to answer, and more often than not cause a complete hard reset of the router.

I have tried with firmware versions from 3.3.3.x to 3.3.5.1 with differing versions of each (UK and standard etc) and the problem still occurs.

This is extremely frustrating, particularly with the attitude of Draytek support. It's highly tempting to take it back to the UK, set it up, have it fall over and THEN complain like hell, just to prove the point.

I used to be a big fan & evangelist for Draytek and have installed loads of them, but recently things have started to get very messy, particularly with the firmware mess for this model, and current lack of IPV6 support - if they are going to make me buy a new router, then in principle it won't be one of theirs.

I doubt that I will be buying any more, nor recommending them or fitting them for anyone else. What a shame.

If anyone has any similar experiences I'd like to hear them.

B. Rgds
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• j03y
  • User
  • User
More
29 Mar 2011 15:19 #2 by j03y
Sounds like a hardware issue but with the quality of the firmware on the 2820s I wouldn't be suprised if that was the problem either.

I've recently been given release candidate 3 of the upcoming 3.3.5.2 firmware which has resolved problems where our plain 2820 would hard reset if the ADSL line dropped out. Maybe try pressing for that but don't mention you are in Spain?

More
31 Mar 2011 22:35 #3 by admin
Try a local SIP provider.

Forum Administrator

• reetp
  • Topic Author
More
04 Apr 2011 21:15 #4 by reetp

J03y wrote: Sounds like a hardware issue but with the quality of the firmware on the 2820s I wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem either.

I've recently been given release candidate 3 of the upcoming 3.3.5.2 firmware which has resolved problems where our plain 2820 would hard reset if the ADSL line dropped out. Maybe try pressing for that but don't mention you are in Spain?

Thanks for the reply !

Yes I do mention that, which seems to be a nice copout for the manufacturers. However, the problem is AFAICT not Spain related. I can remove the ADSL line and the problem will still occur. As I pointed out above, the SIP calls go via a static route to another router here and THEN via the internet. So it's not Spanish ADSL related. I am pretty sure that if I took said router to the UK & plugged it in, the same problem would occur. If I had a spare, I'd do that just to prove the point and make Drayteks life more difficult. I think there is a major hardware issue with the 2820s and the firmware updates cannot fully address it. I can only say this because I HAVE tested it in Spain (obviously not supported but nonetheless possible), and with different firmwares.

admin wrote: Try a local SIP provider.

Thanks, but a) see above b) why on EARTH would that make a difference - local ? As in where ? Spain, UK ? Why should geography make a difference when ....... c) it seems to work happily with your Draytel service...... could you kindly explain that ??????

The more I read in the forums with users having many similar, if not almost identical, problems the more I realise that the 2820 has a MAJOR situation that Draytek just won't seem to admit too. I'm not a router genius, but it seems that anything vaguely SIP related can cause major issues. I could list the various threads that I have read, but there are so many.... and I'm sure Draytek are aware of it.

One thing is for sure. I won't be buying another. What a shame. They used to be so good......

More
10 Apr 2011 18:49 #5 by admin

Why should geography make a difference when ....... c) it seems to work happily with your Draytel service...... could you kindly explain that ??????

It's not 'my' DrayTEL service!...but anyway... Are you saying that if you use DrayTEL in Spain, instead of your preferred SIP provider, then the problem does not occur ?

Forum Administrator

More
12 Apr 2011 18:31 #6 by plemonde
Replied by plemonde on topic Re: V2820Vn hard reset on incoming VOIP calls
I use Localphone for 99% of my incoming and outgoing phonecalls and their reliability is great, and yet I've had the reset problem a few times lately as well with incoming calls.

You answer the call, hear nothing, and then the router reboots.

It definitely seems like the firmware isn't correctly dealing with some kind of state that it isn't expecting.